Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

English to Gaelic Help

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 25 2007, 18:15 PM
MCBrad
New Arrival

I am currently working on a family tree "poster" for my grandfather. I wanted to include a phrase in Gaelic that my grandfather has repeatedly told me throughout my life. The phrase is:

"Live the present, but remember the past"

I have no real knowledge of Gaelic, but I do realize that the rules are different than English. I also understand there is a sort of poet phrasing to Gaelic not included in English. If I could get a close translation in Gaelic and its literal translation into English it would be greatly appreciated. Also, since this is a poster a shorter translation is preferred if there are options, because space is kind of limited.

The possibilities I have found thus far are:

Bí beo sa láthair; cuimhnigh ar an am a chuaigh thart
Be alive in the present; remember the time that has gone by.

And something closely related on this site was:

Bíodh an t-am atá caite i do chuimhne
Bíodh an t-am atá le teacht i do aislingí
Bíodh an t-am i láthair do bheatha

In English it would go something like
"Be the time that is past in your memory
Be the time that is to come in your dreams
Be the present time your life"

As well as this one from the same topic (not sure of literal English translation)

Cuimhnigh ar an am atá thart
Bí ag taibhreamh faoin am atá romhainn
Ach ná déan dearmad ar maireachtáil san am anois

Thanks,

Michael

Post April 25 2007, 18:55 PM
MCBrad
New Arrival

After reading a few more posts I guess I should have titled this post Irish Gaelic, or just Irish. I didn't realize there were Scottish Gaelic speaking people on this forum as well.

So to clarify I would like it translated into Irish.

Thanks again.

Post April 26 2007, 9:48 AM
MCBrad
New Arrival

Did I stump everyone? Please someone help me on this!! I haven't a clue outside of what I have found on here, and one translation that I'm not even sure is right.

Post April 26 2007, 9:52 AM
MCBrad
New Arrival

bheith beo ar i an t-am i láthair, cuimhnigh na seanam

Is this even close??

Post April 26 2007, 10:13 AM
pfolan
Laoch na nGael

MCBrad wrote:bheith beo ar i an t-am i láthair, cuimhnigh na seanam

Is this even close??

"Live the present, but remember the past"

Bí beo = Be Alive
Mair = Live
Maireachtáil = Living / being alive

Can you define more exactly what "Live the present" means. I would guess it means something along thelines of "Carpe Diem" in latin :- "Seize the day". If so I would suggest

Bain ceol as an saol
(Enjoy life) Literally = "Take music from life"

ach cuimhnigh ar an am atá imithe
but remember the time that is gone (i.e. the past)

The whole phrase would then be

Bain ceol as an saol ach cuimhnigh ar an am atá imithe

The word "sult" can be used in place of "ceol". Sult means pleasure or enjoyment. The version with the word "ceol" is more poetic in my opinion.

Of course if your Grandfather ment something different by "Live the present" than "living for today" or "living in the moment" then the translation is no good.

Seanfhocal : Irish Proverb

Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán fhéin
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Post April 26 2007, 15:36 PM
MCBrad
New Arrival

you are correct in your assumption for "living for today" or "living in the moment".

I really appreciate your help on this. I think it will really help the look of the family tree design I am doing. I really like the "Take music from life" part.

Can someone verify this for me, or give another idea. I really like this one, but I'm open to suggestions.

Bain ceol as an saol ach cuimhnigh ar an am atá imithe
Take music from life, but remember the time that is gone

Thanks again pfolan