Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Happy Easter

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 03 2007, 20:58 PM
*Aisling*
Gaeilgeoir

How do you say "Happy Easter" in Irish?

I thought I remembered my teacher saying something about "Cásca faoi shonas duit", but in the dictionary Cásca is just listed as the genitive of Cáisc... Do you actually use the genitive, could Cásca be the nominative form in some dialect or is my memory simply playing tricks on me?

Would be great if one of you could help me out here!
...still at the beginner's stage, so don't take me too seriously... :)
Corrections of my posts greatly appreciated!

Post April 03 2007, 21:19 PM
braoin
Scéalaí Mór

Hello Aisling

I think this has been already covered somewhere on the Forum, but here it is anyway:

Cáisc shona duit
or
Cáisc faoi shonas duit doesn't sound too bad either.

Cásca is the possessive form of Cáisc and I, for one, haven't come across it said as "Cásca" in the nominative case.
Last edited by braoin on April 03 2007, 21:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Three should agree on any translation.
Is ceart triúr a bheith sásta le haistriúchán ar bith a thabharfar.

Post April 03 2007, 21:20 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

*Aisling* wrote:How do you say "Happy Easter" in Irish?

I thought I remembered my teacher saying something about "Cásca faoi shonas duit", but in the dictionary Cásca is just listed as the genitive of Cáisc... Do you actually use the genitive, could Cásca be the nominative form in some dialect or is my memory simply playing tricks on me?

Cáisc shona duit is what I would say.

Redwolf

Post April 03 2007, 21:21 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Redwolf wrote:
*Aisling* wrote:How do you say "Happy Easter" in Irish?

Cáisc shona duit is what I would say.

Redwolf

Oops...gabh mo leithscéal, a Bhraoin...we must have been posting at the same time.

Redwolf

Post April 03 2007, 21:27 PM
*Aisling*
Gaeilgeoir

Big thanks to the two of you!

@Braoin: I was only looking for it in the freq translations section, hadn't noticed the "Search translations" button yet. I'm a clever one... :roll:
...still at the beginner's stage, so don't take me too seriously... :)
Corrections of my posts greatly appreciated!