Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine." -- Pl

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 28 2007, 4:36 AM
ktaylor86
New Arrival

My husband and I have been interested in getting matching tattoos for some time now but have had difficulty deciding what to get. Recently, I was looking through a catalogue, and found a gaelic bethrothal ring--which has "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine," written in gaelic. Since we are both of Irish heritage, this seemed perfect for us. Of course, I wanted to check the accuracy of the text before I had it permenantly inked into my skin, so I've been searching online and my (limited) resources ever since. The only text on the ring that is visible from the catalogue picture is "le mo ghrasa mis." I've contacted the company requesting the entire inscription, but they replied with something about their buying it from a second company and not knowing any more about it than what was already listed. Anyway...
Through my dictionaries and the catalogue, I think that "tha mi le mo ghrasa," would be "I am my beloved's." However, I searched the FAQ section of this site and found "My beloved is mine," to be "is liomsa mo ghra." I'm really unsure of what my next step should be, as I do not know any fluent gaelic speakers. :( I want to be certain of vocabulary, possesive forms, and word order.
Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for you help! :D

Post March 28 2007, 5:19 AM
The Goy from Japan
Craiceáilte

Do you want (Scottish) Gaelic or Irish (Gaelic), that is, Gaelic or Irish?
There are some differences in the way these phrases would be translated.

Also, the translation of "beloved" can take on various forms depending on the nuance you want. "Grá" by itself means "love" and can be used alone but can also be qualified by an adjective to take on different shades of meaning. In order not to confuse you too much, I can make an (awkward) attempt in Irish using one possibility:

Is le mo ghrá gile mise agus is mo ghrá gile liomsa. ("grá gile" - "bright love" > "beloved")

Wait for more ideas. Someone may be able to give you a more agreeable translation, maybe not exactly the same phrasing but acceptable.

Cheers

Tim

Post March 28 2007, 6:09 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

From An Bíobla Naofa:

Le mo ghrása mise, agus liomsa mo ghrá

This is Irish, and direct from the Song of Songs.

If you want Scottish Gaelic, it will be different. I don't know if anyone here has a Scottish translation of the Bible.

Redwolf

Post March 28 2007, 9:21 AM
The Goy from Japan
Craiceáilte

Ah, from the Song of Solomon 6:3. "Beloved" is strung all through those passages.

Possibly in SG (if it's similarly phrased)

"Le mo ghràdh-sa mise, agus leam-sa mo ghràdh"

but I would check with others before I would count on that 100%.

Cheers

Tim

Post March 28 2007, 15:26 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

ktaylor86 wrote:Recently, I was looking through a catalogue, and found a gaelic bethrothal ring--which has "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine," written in gaelic. Since we are both of Irish heritage, this seemed perfect for us

I think this settles the question of which language is wanted. ;)

KTaylor86, I think what confused you is that you got hold of a (Scottish) Gaelic dictionary. (An Irish dictionary would say "Irish" rather than "Gaelic.") The two languages are certainly related, but as you found out the words are a bit different.

Le mo ghrása mise agus liomsa mo ghrá is how it's written in my Irish Bible.

Aibigéal

Post March 28 2007, 17:16 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Aibigéal wrote:
ktaylor86 wrote:Recently, I was looking through a catalogue, and found a gaelic bethrothal ring--which has "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine," written in gaelic. Since we are both of Irish heritage, this seemed perfect for us

KTaylor86, I think what confused you is that you got hold of a (Scottish) Gaelic dictionary. (An Irish dictionary would say "Irish" rather than "Gaelic.") The two languages are certainly related, but as you found out the words are a bit different.

Le mo ghrása mise agus liomsa mo ghrá is how it's written in my Irish Bible.

Aibigéal

That's what I gave her two posts up.

Redwolf

Post March 28 2007, 17:55 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

You're right - I apologize for not acknowledging the fact.

KTaylor, consider mine a confirmation of Redwolf's!

Post March 28 2007, 18:19 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Aibigéal wrote:You're right - I apologize for not acknowledging the fact.

KTaylor, consider mine a confirmation of Redwolf's!

No worries! I thought maybe I had a typo in mine for a moment is all.

Redwolf

Post March 29 2007, 3:02 AM
The Goy from Japan
Craiceáilte

Aibigéal wrote:

Aibigéal

Well, it doesn't hurt to make sure, does it? :?
Anyway, I need the brainwork . . . IG > SG

Post January 29 2011, 5:25 AM
ironhead
New Arrival

This is the correct translation to my knowledge. I'm part Scot and my wife was part Irish. Before we got marriad she researched this and ordered our matching wedding rings with this inscription on them. I lost her to cancer before Christmas last year. I still wear my wedding ring on my finger and her's on a chain around my neck along with her engagement ring. I means alot to me, it keeps her with me, always. I am still her's and her mine, until we meet again...according to the Holy Christian bible, love never passes from this life or the next. Best wishes, God bless.

ironhead

Next