Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Anyone know how to say Family in Irish Gaelic?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 20 2007, 1:07 AM
patmac2007
New Arrival

I am going to be getting a tattoo pretty soon and I want the word Family to be a part of it....Just wondering if anyone knows of how to say it in Irish Gaelic....and if they might know a website where I can get the alphabet for it! Thanks a bunch!

Post March 20 2007, 2:01 AM
Orlikins
Getting Addicted

Have you decided on the tattoo you want to have? We'd really need the full sentence/phrase for context and grammatical conjugation.
~*DISCLAIMER:Am studying for a diploma in Irish. I'm not a native speaker, but I do use Irish as part of my work, if that helps*~

Post March 20 2007, 2:06 AM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

We also need to know what you mean by family - Irish has different words for the different meanings of family instead of one general term like English does.
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post March 20 2007, 2:47 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Here's a rundown:

Teaghlach: Household. Used to refer to the immediate, nuclear, family (parents, kids, etc.), but can be used to refer to anyone that lives under the same roof.

Muintir: People. Used to refer to the entire extended family -- past, present and future -- including great aunts, cousins twice removed, etc. Can also refer to neighbors, close friends, etc.

Gaolta: Relatives/relations.

Clann: Descendents. Used to refer to your children, grandchildren, etc. Can also be used to refer to siblings in a family or descendants of a common ancestor (but would not be used to refer to, say, their spouses or their spouses' families)

Take your pick!

Redwolf

Post March 20 2007, 3:50 AM
patmac2007
New Arrival

Well I am going to get a three leaf clover with my mom, dad, and sisters initials enscribed in each petal.....I have lived with them my whole life and I want it to say "Family", referring to them, written in Irish Gaelic writing across the top....

Post March 20 2007, 5:20 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

patmac2007 wrote:Well I am going to get a three leaf clover with my mom, dad, and sisters initials enscribed in each petal.....I have lived with them my whole life and I want it to say "Family", referring to them, written in Irish Gaelic writing across the top....

See my post, above.

If you live with them, and plan on doing so all your life, you want "Teaghlach." If not, you want "Muintir."

Irish doesn't have a single word that encompasses all meanings of family, so you have to make a choice.

Redwolf