Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Romantic Irish Sayings ...

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 04 2007, 0:45 AM
chris-c
New Arrival

Hello there, well that got your attention.

I take it you have some interest in this topic, seeing as you've opened the thread.

Actually I am looking for something sweet and meaningful to have engraved inside my wedding ring.

I have a few ideas including:

mo anam cara (my soul friend)
gra go deo (love forever)
gra dilseacht cairdeas (love loyalty friendship ... of claddagh ring fame)
gra mo chroi (love of my heart ... my favourite so far)
gra geal mo chroi(bright love of my heart ... a bit long I think)

Any more ideas out there to help me choose? All welcome and I'm sure the above may be useful to those Irish romantics out there.

Thanks.
Chris

Post March 04 2007, 0:50 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

chris-c wrote:Hello there, well that got your attention.

I take it you have some interest in this topic, seeing as you've opened the thread.

Actually I am looking for something sweet and meaningful to have engraved inside my wedding ring.

I have a few ideas including:

mo anam cara (my soul friend)
gra go deo (love forever)
gra dilseacht cairdeas (love loyalty friendship ... of claddagh ring fame)
gra mo chroi (love of my heart ... my favourite so far)
gra geal mo chroi(bright love of my heart ... a bit long I think)

Any more ideas out there to help me choose? All welcome and I'm sure the above may be useful to those Irish romantics out there.

Thanks.
Chris

Anam cara is wrong, I'm afraid. Written "anamchara," it actually refers to one's spiritual advisor/confessor. Written "anam cara" it's just plain wrong...a couple of dictionary words stuck together in English syntax and perpetuated by unscrupulous jewelrs. If you want "my soul's friend," you'd say "cara m'anama."

The others are all good, but you're missing accents. They are important...without them the words are misspelled.

There are plenty of others out there, including:

Mo thaisce or Mo stór (both of which literally mean "my treasure")

Mo chuid den tsaol (my share of life...a way of saying "my everything")

M'fíorghrá (my true love)

I'm sure others will have more.

Redwolf

Post March 04 2007, 1:03 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Another idea...you can combine them:

Cuisle mo chroí: Pulse of my heart

Stór mo chroí: Treasure of my heart

Another nice one:

Mo chéadsearc: My first/true love

Redwolf

Post March 04 2007, 13:53 PM
chris-c
New Arrival

Wow,

Thank you so much for your replies. I am tuly grateful for your suggestions. I am particularly surprised at the incorrect one I posted as this, believe it or not is being used on wedding rings and engraved into the gold on the outside. I could understand if it was just the American jewellers, but the main exporters of these rings to America are based in .... GALWAY!!!!!!

Now I ask you, how can they get it so wrong. It's dishonest as it's a big big business for them.

Many thanks again.

Chris

Post March 04 2007, 13:56 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

chris-c wrote:mo anam cara (my soul friend)

Get my shotgun
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh

Post March 04 2007, 13:58 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

:lol:

Post March 04 2007, 15:27 PM
Tiorthan
Laoch na nGael

chris-c wrote:Wow,

Thank you so much for your replies. I am tuly grateful for your suggestions. I am particularly surprised at the incorrect one I posted as this, believe it or not is being used on wedding rings and engraved into the gold on the outside. I could understand if it was just the American jewellers, but the main exporters of these rings to America are based in .... GALWAY!!!!!!

Now I ask you, how can they get it so wrong. It's dishonest as it's a big big business for them.

Many thanks again.

Chris

Just to be from Galway sadly doesn't mean the jeweller has any Irish. And plus there is a market for things like that, people who don't give a shit about having things correct just have some fancy foreign words on that ring. Chances are, that nobody ever will discover the error since the customers have no Irish either.
In some parts of society it seems to be a fancy to run around with pseudo Irish or Gaelic or Celtic things others have chinese signs and no idea about Chinese and so on.

Hey would mo anam carad make sense if I was a collector of souls?
Please correct any of my mistakes. Without mercy.

Post March 04 2007, 17:37 PM
chris-c
New Arrival

Hello again,

As you can see, my sense of humour prevails. I simply couldn't resist adding a picture of one of the offending rings as my avatar.

The website for these little beauties is o'Gills and they are unbelievable IRISH, based in Galway!
I'm pretty annoyed as I almost spent good money on an engraving and it would have been heartbreaking ... especially as I have waited 4 months for my platinum wedding band to be made by a bespoke jewellers.

Just for the entertainment of those of you who are knowledgeable of the Irish language, here's a direct lift from their website (highlighted appropriately in red) ... it's the description of my avatar:

"Mo Anam Cara - My Soul Friend.

This Mens Modern Celtic Irish wedding ring has been inspired from the old Celtic saying My Soul Friend. Which literally was the highest compliment of friendship and love that a Celt could pronounce You to be. So the words My Soul Friend have been transformed into modern Celtic art.

The Ring has been hand crafted from warm 14ct yellow gold to the highest Irish goldsmithing standards. The finished result is a ring that has an almost rustic character and textures that are full of romance and Celtic symbolisim. Mo Anam Cara has been hand etched onto the rings surface along with the famous Claddagh symbol of Life, Love and Fidelity the two hands holding one heart, symbolising two as one.

So if you are looking for a ring that is both unique and special to symbolise your love for each other or maybe you just are a big Celtic romantic at heart, well why not consider Mo Anam Cara."

Enjoy folks.

Chris

Post March 04 2007, 18:03 PM
McCecil
New Arrival

Redwolf wrote:Another idea...you can combine them:

Cuisle mo chroí: Pulse of my heart

Stór mo chroí: Treasure of my heart

Another nice one:

Mo chéadsearc: My first/true love

Redwolf

Dia dhuit Redwolf,

Wouldn't that be "Mo Chéadshearc" with a séimhiú?

Another nice one to say to your Chéadshearc is:

"Tá mo chroí istigh ionat." (lit. 'My heart is inside/within you' or I love you), as a statement of fact.

or

"Mo chroí isteach ionat" (lit. 'My heart (going) into you' or I love you), as a spontaneous expression to your beloved.
[/u][/b][/url]

Post March 04 2007, 18:16 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Curtha in eagar le mo leithscéal.
Last edited by Tiarnan2 on March 04 2007, 19:07 PM, edited 2 times in total.
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Next