Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

mo duinne

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 01 2007, 17:13 PM
mountnqt
New Arrival

Can someone translate this for me? I am reading the book "Outlander" about a woman transported to the Highlands of Scotland from 1945 to 1745 and there are several gaelic phrases that keep coming up in the text and I would like to know what they translate to in English.

Also, my husband's family name is Jackson-Angus. He was born and raised in South Africa but always states his family was from Scotland. I know this is an Irish site but can you help me find a tartan or direct me to a Scotland site? Thanks!

Post March 01 2007, 18:04 PM
Caffler
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

duinne means browner or brownest, i don't know if it has another meaning, but based on that, (although i would have thought it would have been mo dhuinne), your phrase would mean

my brownest

but please wait for someone with better scottish gaelic to confirm or correct this.
Get the Ræliksen CD here
éist leis an gceol

tá sult na saoirse i gcló na gcrann
is grá don tsúil a fiaradh,
tá dúil sa rud tá casta cam
is gráin don bhog is don díreach.

Post March 01 2007, 19:07 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

mo dhuine = "yer man"

Can you give us the context?

Post March 01 2007, 19:11 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Let's clarify...is this Irish you want, or Scottish Gaelic? They're different languages.

Redwolf

Post March 03 2007, 2:24 AM
Teera
Anseo again

mountnqt wrote:Can someone translate this for me? I am reading the book "Outlander" about a woman transported to the Highlands of Scotland from 1945 to 1745 and there are several gaelic phrases that keep coming up in the text and I would like to know what they translate to in English.

It's supposed to be Scottish Gaelic, but the author goofed:
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabal ... l#moduinne

"Mo nighean donn" means "my brown-haired girl."

Post June 27 2012, 23:16 PM
luvinmom
New Arrival

First book. Outlander,Chapter 16,page 312 Jamie calls Claire Mo Duinne..Then he says"It means My Brown One".... I've been dying to call you that.".........
I love this series...