Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

fir na tine vs. fear dóiteain

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 18 2007, 22:50 PM
needshelp96
New Arrival

im looking for the translation for "men of fire".
i have heard that "fir na tine" is the correct translation, and that "fear dóiteain" is a more singular "fireman". can someone please confirm this, i need it for a tattoo (big surprise there...)
thank you in advance.

Post February 18 2007, 23:33 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

needshelp96 wrote:im looking for the translation for "men of fire".
i have heard that "fir na tine" is the correct translation, and that "fear dóiteain" is a more singular "fireman". can someone please confirm this, i need it for a tattoo (big surprise there...)
thank you in advance.

If you're speaking of firemen as in the people who fight fires, you need "Fir Dóiteáin" (you were right about "fear dóiteáin" being singular..."fireman"...for the plural you need "fir" instead of "fear").

Fir na Tine really isn't correct. It literally means "men of the fire," but it's "fire" as in "hearthfire"...not as in the kind of blazes firemen battle! "Fir dóiteáin" is what firemen are called in Ireland.

Redwolf

Post February 18 2007, 23:39 PM
Tiorthan
Laoch na nGael

The difference between plural and singular lies in fir (Plural) and fear (singular). Firemen as I know is fear/dir dóiteáin since dóitean is i think more like 'fire out of control' than tine.
Please correct any of my mistakes. Without mercy.

Post February 18 2007, 23:40 PM
Tiorthan
Laoch na nGael

Now didn't see you there Redwolf.
Please correct any of my mistakes. Without mercy.

Post February 19 2007, 1:07 AM
needshelp96
New Arrival

i think im still going to go with "fir na tine" just because it fits better (spacing wise) with what i want on my tattoo. thanks to both of you!

Post February 19 2007, 1:24 AM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

RW & Tiorthan ....Go raibh maith agaibh go léir in aon cor! :roll:
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post February 19 2007, 4:07 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

needshelp96 wrote:i think im still going to go with "fir na tine" just because it fits better (spacing wise) with what i want on my tattoo. thanks to both of you!

So long as you realize that it doesn't in any way refer to firefighters. Hearth tenders, more likely!

Redwolf

Post February 19 2007, 15:34 PM
needshelp96
New Arrival

"men of the hearthfire" THAT WENT HORRIBLY OUT OF CONTROL!!! but then we put it out so its nothing more than ashes and embers now...
eh eh? :)

Post February 19 2007, 15:39 PM
needshelp96
New Arrival

and what was tiarnan saying?
making fun of teh noob? hahaha

Post February 19 2007, 16:21 PM
iora_rua
Craiceáilte

feels like dóiteáin needs a lenition in the plural:

fir dhóiteáin

but I could be wrong

Kilkenny County Council agrees with me (for whatever that is worth)

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/ar2004/gaeil ... andala.htm
Note that I am only a learner of Irish. Wait for confirmations!
An chéad sagart, ba é sin an chéad bithiúnach a bhuail leis an gcéad amadán. Voltaire

Next