Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Hunter

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post December 19 2006, 21:09 PM
Cu Roi
New Arrival

I'm looking for a term for "hunter" and what you'd call a "band of hunters".

Also, I'm aware of several translations of Cu Roi...but I've always been curious to find out a more authoritative definition of it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

Just to clarify, I'm looking for the oldest forms of these words and phrases that can be decided upon.

Post December 19 2006, 21:22 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Cu Roi wrote:I'm looking for a term for "hunter" and what you'd call a "band of hunters".

Also, I'm aware of several translations of Cu Roi...but I've always been curious to find out a more authoritative definition of it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

Just to clarify, I'm looking for the oldest forms of these words and phrases that can be decided upon.

"Roi" isn't an Irish word, as far as I can tell. "Cú" (with a fada over the "u") means "hound."

"Hunter" is Fiagaí. A band of hunters would be Feadhain Fiagaithe.

Wait for more.

Redwolf

Post December 19 2006, 21:30 PM
Cu Roi
New Arrival

That was fast!

Thanks!

Cú Roí Mac Dairi also Cú Raoi is an old King in Irish myth. Here's a quick link: http://tinyurl.com/ygj74l

I've heard it translated as several things, but I've always heard that the Roí is problematic! So anything would be a help.

Post December 19 2006, 23:28 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

Perhaps roí is a name of some sort. He is the king who met his end by breaking his geasa i presume. is it your name? if so, what innovative parents you had.
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh

Post December 19 2006, 23:51 PM
Cu Roi
New Arrival

I'm only aware of the legends regarding his death due to betrayal, but there are several versions that I'm aware of, and in each the manner of his death is a little different. Information on him is pretty hard to come by.

Cú Roí is a name I've gone by for years, but it sadly was not given to me at birth. ;)

What would an Old Irish term for Ghost Hunter be?

Post December 19 2006, 23:58 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

Fiach Taibhsí
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh