Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Conas atá tú?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 20 2003, 13:07 PM
Caireann
Gaeilgeoir

Dia dhiabh,

I'm sure I learnt 'Conas atá tú?' but anything I've looked at recently says 'Conas tá tú?'

An raibh mé mícheart le 30+ mbliana?

-KS
Ní bhíonn sé ro-dhéanach le h-ardleanbaíocht a chaitheamh.

Post August 20 2003, 13:13 PM
Deb
Giostaire

Don't feel bad, KS. I am finding a lot of that particular difference as well. The "Irish On Your Own" course teaches Conas áta tú. But other internet items don't.

I wonder if the forum members who have Teach Me! Irish will please tell us what form that course teaches.

:?
Tá mé ag foghlaim i gcónaí. With translations, it is best to wait for someone more adept than I to confirm.

Post August 20 2003, 13:53 PM
JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Maybe it's a dialect thing. In a book I have, How are you? is:

Cad é mar atá tú? Ulster

Cén chaoi a bhuil tú? Connaught

Conas tá tú? Munster
Beidh ár lá linn.......go luath!!

I'm a beginner. Wait for more input with my translations.

Post August 20 2003, 14:09 PM
Asarlaí

a chairde,

Conas atá tú was the first phrase I learnt after hearing it in a film. I like the word conas and wish it was used more as 'how' but that's probably just because of my desire to seek word for word translation..(English speaker alert)..

What say Tadhg?

Slán tamall

Post August 20 2003, 16:04 PM
Antóin
Giostaire

Conas atá tú? Conas tá tú?
Both are correct, the first is a more traditional spelling I think and is not used much nowadays.

To make things even more complicated, most of us in Munster pronounce it - Conas tán tú?

Post August 20 2003, 16:56 PM
Corvus93
Scéalaí Mór

Somhairle wrote:a chairde,

Conas atá tú was the first phrase I learnt after hearing it in a film. I like the word conas and wish it was used more as 'how' but that's probably just because of my desire to seek word for word translation..(English speaker alert)..

What say Tadhg?

Slán tamall

:mrgreen:
maybe we should create an ESA! ESA! warning anagram?! I suffer this malady myself

C-
Táim buíoch le cibé déithe a bhéadh ann
as m'anam nach gcloífaí go deo.

Post March 20 2004, 10:32 AM
jamesnp
Giostaire

I have some more info if you want it:

"Conas atá tú" is "Standardised Irish", therefore it is also now new Leinster Irish (old Leinster Irish is an actual different dialect, but it has died). Leinster Irish has grown up through the Irish Education system - it is the Irish taught in Dublin (and around the country) schools, and with little or no other influences, young Dubliners, like myself, speak it today.

In other provinces young people are taught from the standardised text books, but their teachers - who are probably from the area - would use local dialect.

Basically it boils down to a comparison in English:

Conás atá tú = How are you?
Conás tá tú = How'r'ya?

Therefore, Conás tá tú should be written: "conas 'tá tú". Though, that doesn't matter when you're speaking! Basically rule of thumb, do whatever you like when you're speaking, but use standardised Irish for writing... just like you would in English - entirely up to you though! ;)

-James
Last edited by jamesnp on April 25 2005, 23:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 20 2004, 11:56 AM
Conor
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

compare

Cad é mar (a)tá tú -- How are you?

it doesn't matter --- one's the present tense and one's the present relative

Post March 20 2004, 13:40 PM
cheryl
Anseo again

I know what you mean about the differences it can be confusing knowing which word or phrase to use when there is more then one for the same word or phrase. I'm a student of irish myself and i've been learning for the last 6 months or so. The other night my teacher gave me some homework to do I have to write out an entire conversation in irish between myself and another person.... AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Homework... feels more like torture lol.
I may joke with my teacher about it being torture but i do love learning it really.
I maybe progressing nicely but to write out a whole conversation i think he has more faith in me then i do.

Post March 20 2004, 13:50 PM
Brian
Andúileach IGTF

jamesnp wrote:I have some more info if you want it:

"Conas atá tú" is "Standardised Irish", therefore it is also Leinster Irish. Leinster Irish has grown up through the Irish Education system - it is the Irish taught in Dublin (and around the country) schools, and with little or no other influences, young Dubliners, like myself, speak it today.

In other provinces young people are taught from the standardised text books, but their teachers - who are probably from the area - would use local dialect.

Basically it boils down to a comparison in English:

Conás atá tú = How are you?
Conás tá tú = How'r'ya?

Therefore, Conás tá tú should be written: "conas 'tá tú". Though, that doesn't matter when you're speaking! Basically rule of thumb, do whatever you like when you're speaking, but use standardised Irish for writing... just like you would in English - entirely up to you though! ;)

-James

Nice post James

Welcome to the site

Next