Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

translate to irish uncial

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 04 2006, 14:49 PM
jon_jon
New Arrival

translate the word marijuana and the word fearless to irish uncial

Post October 04 2006, 15:09 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

uncial is just a font style. You can leave the words in Irish, and just put them in any uncial font.

If you want the words in Irish:

marachuan
marijuana

As for fearless, if it needs to be one word:

neamheaglach
- or -
neamhfhaitíosach
fearless

But more commonly we'd say gan eagla or gan faitíos

Post October 04 2006, 21:24 PM
irish yank
Laoch na nGael

Why do you want marijuana translated? :?
My name sucks, therefore pay it no attention.
My Irish is beginners
DO NOT FORGET FADAS(á,é,í,ó,ú)
I prefer Standard & Connaught dialects

Post October 04 2006, 21:50 PM
SeanMurphy1
Giostaire

i'll have a wee bit if any going spare
Ritheann fear buile trí thuile go dána, ach is minic thug tuile fear buile le fána

Post October 05 2006, 14:42 PM
jon_jon
New Arrival

i need it in gaelic please if anyone knows

Post October 05 2006, 15:10 PM
julius
Andúileach IGTF

jon_jon wrote:i need it in gaelic please if anyone knows

Mwhombat has already gave you the Irish words above, or do you mean Scottish Gaelic when you say in Gaelic?
Tá an domhan uile ina stáitse agus teastaíonn cleachtadh go géar ón mórchuid againn.
-Seán Ó Cathasaigh

Iúil Ó Cofaigh

Post October 05 2006, 16:05 PM
mhwombat

on another thread, jon_jon wrote:the words fearless and stoner and marijuana plz

Asking for confirmation is a good idea, but let's keep it on this thread.

I've given you the words for "fearless" and "marijuana". I'm not aware of an Irish word for "stoner". Perhaps someone else will know a word for it.

Post October 05 2006, 16:13 PM
mhwombat

Wombat's Quick Explanation of Fonts Modern Irish uses the regular latin alphabet, so any normal font will work fine, as long as it has the accented vowels -- which most do. You can experiment with all kinds of fonts here: http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/index.jsp

Also, until the middle of the last century a font style called sean-chló was used (you can preview this by selecting fonts with names ending in "-chló". When sean-chló is used, lenition is normally indicated by placing a dot over the consonant, instead of placing a h after it as we do today. So you can shorten your inscription or tattoo by replacing all instances of bh with , ch with ċ, dh with , fh with , gh with ġ, mh with , ph with , sh with , and th with . (You should see dots above those consonants.) Any occurrence of h at the beginning of a word is simply left alone. You'll probably want to use old-style spelling to match, so ask us for help with this.

Post October 05 2006, 19:16 PM
yort
Scéalaí Mór

Bring back the buailte! Bring back the buailte!

/me slinks back off into obscurity. =]
In the battle between Troy and his flute, the flute always wins because Troy is afraid of the woodchipper :)
troy.kay@gmail | kothz@chiff | kothz@thesession

Post October 05 2006, 19:29 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

cnáib is hemp if ur looking for a slightly more irish word.
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh

Next