Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Sweetheart

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 04 2003, 2:48 AM
Nicky
New Arrival

Hi, i need to know how to say "Sweetheart" in Gaelic. Also, please, how do you tell someone to shut up and call them an idiot? I'm writing a book and the main character is Irish. Thanks so much.

Post August 04 2003, 10:07 AM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

Nicky wrote:Hi, i need to know how to say "Sweetheart" in Gaelic. Also, please, how do you tell someone to shut up and call them an idiot? I'm writing a book and the main character is Irish. Thanks so much.

Hi Nicky,

There are many words for sweetheart, take your pick of:

Mo mhuirnín, mo thaisce, mo chuisle. Use all three if you like.

Dún do chlab
Shut your mouth

Amadán!
Idiot!

Hope the book is going well for you, if you need any more help or background info on Irish culture let us know.

Slán,

Ailill.
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."
Seosamh Mac Grianna, Mo Bhealach Féin