Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

SG: Sanctuary

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 01 2006, 14:57 PM
Grannymo
New Arrival

Hi everyone. I'm setting up a retreat centre in Scotland and would like to use the gaelic word for 'sanctuary'. I've looked it up on the internet and have found several options, so I'm not sure which is the most appropriate. Oh - I'm assuming Irish and Scottish Gaelic are interchangeable in this sense, or am I wrong about that? I hope someone out there can help me.

Many thanks :snoopy:

Post September 01 2006, 15:02 PM
julius
Andúileach IGTF

Hi...
Tearmann (Irish)
Tèarmunn (Scottish Gaelic)
Tá an domhan uile ina stáitse agus teastaíonn cleachtadh go géar ón mórchuid againn.
-Seán Ó Cathasaigh

Iúil Ó Cofaigh

Post September 01 2006, 16:25 PM
Grannymo
New Arrival

Thanks for that, Julius.

This is another version to add to my list - I've also come across these:

Rosneimidh
'A' Chromraich
Cranaleith (which apparently means sanctuary of trees)

Have you any idea how the meaning differs?

Thanks again :?

Post September 01 2006, 16:53 PM
julius
Andúileach IGTF

Hey Grannymo, the Gaelic words you posted sound like placenames to me, although I'm not quite sure. Anyway, there're a few regulars in here which are well versed in Scottish Gaelic and they could take a look on it if some mod flag the thread as SG, so, hang around please.
Tá an domhan uile ina stáitse agus teastaíonn cleachtadh go géar ón mórchuid againn.
-Seán Ó Cathasaigh

Iúil Ó Cofaigh

Post September 01 2006, 18:43 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Grannymo wrote:Hi everyone. I'm setting up a retreat centre in Scotland and would like to use the gaelic word for 'sanctuary'. I've looked it up on the internet and have found several options, so I'm not sure which is the most appropriate. Oh - I'm assuming Irish and Scottish Gaelic are interchangeable in this sense, or am I wrong about that? I hope someone out there can help me.

Many thanks :snoopy:

FWIW, Irish and Scottish Gaelic are different languages. They have many similarities, as they come from the same "parent," but they're not interchangeable. They're like Spanish and Portuguese in that respect.

We do have some people on this forum who have Scottish Gaelic. I'll flag this "SG" so they'll be more likely to see it.

Redwolf

Post September 01 2006, 21:18 PM
Seán a'Chóta
Scéalaí Mór

Grannymo wrote:Rosneimidh
'A' Chromraich
Cranaleith (which apparently means sanctuary of trees)

Nos 1 and 3 are unintelligible. No. 2 is a garbled version of "comraich" which means "sanctuary" in the sense of "protection" ("a' chomraich" = "the protection").

For a place of sanctuary, "tèarmann" is suitable. (Note that the standard spelling has -ann although -unn will be found in older sources.)
"Níl ach líon beag fear ar aithne againn, agus líon mór cótaí is brístí." Thoreau

Post September 14 2006, 8:26 AM
Grannymo
New Arrival

Hello again - I've been away, wanted to thank you all for your help.

Just one last question. If I wanted to call a place 'The Sanctuary' would I simply call it 'Tearmunn' or would it have a prefix (eg 'the')?

And is there anything I should know about pronunciation?

Thanks again - my next step is a Gaelic class!

Post September 14 2006, 15:34 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

^Bump^

Post September 14 2006, 15:57 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

An Tèarmann (Gàidhlig)
The Sanctuary