Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Fear Gorm

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 31 2006, 16:06 PM
subwaydub
Getting Addicted

Can anyone tell me why "fear gorm" is used as well as "fear dubh"?

Go raibh maith agut.

Post August 31 2006, 16:17 PM
Tadhg an Mhargaidh
Scéalaí Mór

Maybe fear gorm is used to mean 'black man' because fear dubh is traditionally used to refer to the devil. Incidentally, the proper term for 'white man' is fear geal (not bán - I suppose fear bán could be taken to mean a 'fair-haired man'). Fíon geal is 'white wine'.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt,
buanú teanga í a scríobh.
(neafaisiú teanga í a thatuáil?)

Post August 31 2006, 19:01 PM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

Hi, is 'dubh' not also used to describe hair color as in 'Aodh Dubh' or am I way off once again,Christy.
Wait for more to be sure.
Quae Sursum volo videre.
The Mouth from the South.
An sean duine liath.

Post August 31 2006, 19:11 PM
subwaydub
Getting Addicted

One explanation is that the Irish for satan (fear dubh) was in use long before they came across a coloured person. Not entirely plausable but it keep coming up on google[/i]

Post August 31 2006, 19:42 PM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

Hi , again I remember 'fear dubh' was used in 'Sceal Seadhna' a school reader ,Christy. Is the name 'Gormley' anything to do with being a 'fear gorm'?
Wait for more to be sure.
Quae Sursum volo videre.
The Mouth from the South.
An sean duine liath.

Post August 31 2006, 19:46 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Tadhg an Mhargaidh wrote:Fíon geal is 'white wine'.

This reminds me... for all you non-teetotallers out there, what in the heck is "brown wine" (fíon donn)? :gruebel: I've heard it in a couple of songs now...

Post August 31 2006, 19:56 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Abigeál wrote:
Tadhg an Mhargaidh wrote:Fíon geal is 'white wine'.

This reminds me... for all you non-teetotallers out there, what in the heck is "brown wine" (fíon donn)? :gruebel: I've heard it in a couple of songs now...

No idea. Maybe a poetic name for beer or whiskey? Or perhaps a fortified wine, such as port or sherry (they can look rather brown...in fact, we use tawny port for communion at our church, as it stains the altar linens less than the ruby ports do!).

Redwolf

Post September 01 2006, 7:56 AM
subwaydub
Getting Addicted

Not too sure but it's the only explanation I can get that makes sense.

Post September 01 2006, 9:22 AM
Brian O'Cathain
Gaeilgeoir

Fear gorm.
Again, a memory from a time past. Fear gorm is used to describe a black man because when the Arabs of Spain and North Africa traded with Galway people noticed the colour of their dress (indigo) and not their faces.
Of course it could also be that the high-lights on a black person's skin is usually blue.