Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translate a Name into Irish Gaelic?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 09 2006, 10:38 AM
Hannah2380
New Arrival

I am thinking of having a tattoo, please can you translate my Name: Hannah into Irish Gaelic??? :D

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Hx :D

Post August 09 2006, 10:43 AM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

Why are you tattooing your name on you? In case you forget/get lost? Maybe just tattoo on a postal address then they can just stick a stamp on you and post you off?

But seriously i'm not sure hannah has an irish form. Is it Biblical?

Post August 09 2006, 10:54 AM
Hannah2380
New Arrival

It's for my boyfriend Ha ha!!!

Well i think so - i just used another link and it came up with Aine - meaning Grace "God has Favored me" any clues on this i'm totally crap at this sort of thing???

:roll:

Post August 09 2006, 10:59 AM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

Never heard hannah being translated as Áine. Names don't really translate. Frequently you just come up with existing names in that language that most approximate to your own. In this case Áine(don't forget the accent over the a) would be appropriate, but its comes from the name of a gaelic love goddess, nothing to do with the grace of god as far as i know.
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh

Post August 09 2006, 11:02 AM
Hannah2380
New Arrival

Thank you for your help, much appreicated.

Have a good day.

Thanks again.
Hannah :D

Post August 09 2006, 11:20 AM
julius
Andúileach IGTF

Hi. I've just found Siobhán for Hannah in two different websites, and Ánna in a third one. :nixweiss:
Tá an domhan uile ina stáitse agus teastaíonn cleachtadh go géar ón mórchuid againn.
-Seán Ó Cathasaigh

Iúil Ó Cofaigh

Post August 09 2006, 11:36 AM
Hannah2380
New Arrival

Hey,

Thanks that's really useful. Don't know if you would know but would Hannah be spelt the same in Gaelic??? :? :? :?

Thanks
Hannah

Post August 09 2006, 12:19 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

In the Bible it's spelled Hanná... but I don't know if that's actually in use as a modern Irish name or not.

Abigeál

Post August 09 2006, 20:28 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

I'd leave it is it is . . .

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post August 09 2006, 20:42 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

Yes i've a feeling that calling you áine would only make it half as much of a commitment. You'd want to look out for any annes you know just in case he's looking for a suitable painless replacement.
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh