Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

tattoo translation for "fighter"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 28 2006, 3:19 AM
kms91
New Arrival

Hi! Does anyone know how the word "fighter", as in a strong-willed person, would be translated into gaelic? please let me know. thanks tons!

Post July 28 2006, 3:43 AM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

One possibility "Trodaí"

Post July 28 2006, 16:01 PM
Tadhg an Mhargaidh
Scéalaí Mór

another possibility might be an adjective rather than a noun:

buanseasmhach

= steadfast, persevering

can refer to someone who is a fighter in that he doesn't give up - he sticks with it.

I think trodaí would mean fighter in the sense of a scrapper, i.e., someone prone to use his fists.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt,
buanú teanga í a scríobh.
(neafaisiú teanga í a thatuáil?)

Post July 31 2006, 0:36 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

kms91 wrote:When I asked for the translation of the word fighter, as in a strong-willed person, I was told buanseasmhach would work best. can anyone confirm that? Thanks tons.
Kelly

As Tadhg explained, buanseasmhach is an adjective, not a noun. It doesn't mean "fighter", but it refers to the quality of being steadfast, persevering.

This is why duplicate threads for the same request cause confusion; people responding on the other thread don't know all the information that has been provided on this thread.

Post July 31 2006, 23:08 PM
kms91
New Arrival

sorry about the confusion with putting a new thread up. but i was just wondering, as i said, if anyone can confirm or give me new direction with the work "fighter", or a strong-willed person? thanks in advance, again.