Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

The meaning and spelling of Seanchaí

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post June 10 2006, 0:19 AM
Danodoo
New Arrival

I am trying to discover the proper spelling and meaning of the word Seanchaí, or Senachaí, which I believe refers to a storytelling member of a community who's responsibility it was to maintain and pass on the oral tradition of that particular community or cultural group. Can anyone give me some information as to whether this is an accurate description of this words meaning, or if there is any other meaning associated with this word? I would also appreciate some insight into the spelling and pronunciation of the word.

Thank you in advance for you time and effort.

Post June 10 2006, 0:24 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Seanchaí (pronounced "SHAN-uh-khee"): Reciter of ancient lore; traditional storyteller.

Redwolf

Post June 10 2006, 9:52 AM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

Redwolf wrote:Seanchaí (pronounced "SHAN-uh-khee"): Reciter of ancient lore; traditional storyteller.

Redwolf

Hi, I agreee with Redwolf 100%. it also means , An antiquary, historian or genalogist but it is mainly used nowadays to mean a storyteller, the older form is 'Seanchaidhe'just in case you come across this spelling. Xty :ja:

Post June 11 2006, 4:27 AM
Danodoo
New Arrival

Thank you for your help. Good day!