Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Mise Eire Translation would be appreciated.

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post June 07 2006, 1:39 AM
SaucyWenche
New Arrival

A friend and I exchange Gaelic phrases etc. to challenge each other from time to time. This one he sent me is obviously about Cu Chulainn, but the Gaelic might be a wee bit archaic, I'm not sure. I'm stumped here. Is there anyone who can help with this translation? I would be grateful if someone can. (I'm sorry but I haven't put the accents in this text as my keyboard isn't set up for that and I don't know how to anyway)

Mise Eire:
Sine me na an chailleach bhearra
Mor mo ghloir
Me a rug Cu Chulainn croga
mor mo nair
mo chlann fein a dhiol a mathair
mise eire
uaignia me na an chailleach bhearra

Cheers,
SaucyWenche :?

Post June 07 2006, 1:43 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

That is a pretty famous poem by P. H. Pearse, one of the leaders of the 1916 Rising

Mise Éire
Sine mé ná an Chailleach Béara
Mór mo ghlóir
Mé do rug Cúchulainn cróga
Mór mo náir'
Mo chlann féin do dhíol a máthair.
Mise Éire
Uaigní mé ná an Chailleach Béara

I am Ireland
I am older than the Old Woman of Beare
Great my glory
I who bore Cuchulainn the valiant
Great my shame
My own children who sold their mother.
I am Ireland
I am lonlier than the Old Woman of Beare[/u]

Post June 07 2006, 1:44 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

SaucyWenche wrote:A friend and I exchange Gaelic phrases etc. to challenge each other from time to time. This one he sent me is obviously about Cu Chulainn, but the Gaelic might be a wee bit archaic, I'm not sure. I'm stumped here. Is there anyone who can help with this translation? I would be grateful if someone can. (I'm sorry but I haven't put the accents in this text as my keyboard isn't set up for that and I don't know how to anyway)

Mise Eire:
Sine me na an chailleach bhearra
Mor mo ghloir
Me a rug Cu Chulainn croga
mor mo nair
mo chlann fein a dhiol a mathair
mise eire
uaignia me na an chailleach bhearra

Cheers,
SaucyWenche :?

That's a classic!

I am Ireland
I am older than the Hag of Bearra
Great my glory
I bore brave Cuchulainn
Great my shame
My own children have sold their mother
I am Ireland
[I can't remember this word and it's driving me crazy: "I'm lonelier"???] than the Hag of Bearra.

Wait for further input.

Redwolf

Post June 07 2006, 1:44 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Oops! Sorry...Oisín got there first!

Redwolf

Post June 07 2006, 1:50 AM
SaucyWenche
New Arrival

Ohhh, Oisin and Redwolf, you guys are BOTH brilliant!!! You both recognised it right away, and thank you so much for responding so quickly!

My buddy and I are challenging our minds in slowly trying to learn Gaelic a word at a time. (He's far ahead of me at the moment)

But with good people such as yourselves, sharing your knowledge to help others, well, I just want to say it is much appreciated..and I'm thankful for this great forum.

Cheers,
SaucyWenche :-)

Post June 07 2006, 1:52 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

SaucyWenche, if you want to know how to enter accented characters, click on the "Fonts" link at left.

Also, just so you know, that poem is in Irish, not Gaelic. Usually when people say "Gaelic" they are referring to the Scottish one. However, older people in Ireland tend to refer to Irish as "Gaelic", so it can get confusing.

Post June 07 2006, 1:56 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

Of course I'd recognize it. I've always been a big admirer of Pearse.

But how could I not love a sexually confused emotionally maladjusted socially inept academic with delusions of grandeur? :lach:

Post June 07 2006, 1:57 AM
SaucyWenche
New Arrival

I shall do just that, whwombat! Thanks for the tip about the Fonts.

I know exactly what you mean. I was always confused between Irish Gaelic and Scots Gaelic...never sure if they were two different things, or what. Thank you for the clarification..I think I should read up on the differences a bit further with some research.

You people are so very helpful. Thanks again!

Cheers,
SaucyWenche :-)

Post June 07 2006, 2:03 AM
Sassy Lassie
Giostaire

oisin718 wrote:Of course I'd recognize it. I've always been a big admirer of Pearse.

But how could I not love a sexually confused emotionally maladjusted socially inept academic with delusions of grandeur? :lach:

That discription could fit many individuals.

Post June 07 2006, 2:08 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

laurieds wrote:
oisin718 wrote:Of course I'd recognize it. I've always been a big admirer of Pearse.

That discription could fit many individuals.

I can think of three on this forum alone, myself included! :lach:

But seriously, Ruth Dudley Edwards' Patrick Pearse: The Triumph of Failure is a very good read, just as a biography alone.

I'm not much of a fan of psychohistory (unless it's the history of psychopaths) but Seán Farrell Moran's Patrick Pearse and the Politics of Redemption is also a very worthwhile read.

Next