Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Gaelic words for potato

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 07 2006, 16:19 PM
Maggie Lambeth
New Arrival

I am currently teaching the history of Ireland to a class of English year 10s and will be teaching about the Potato Famine shortly. I was told that Irish Gaelic had over 17 words to describe the potato and different ways of preparing it. Is this true, and if so, please what are they as I would like to include them in my lessons. Thank you.

Post May 07 2006, 16:54 PM
kgleoite
Giostaire

Maggie Lambeth wrote:I am currently teaching the history of Ireland to a class of English year 10s and will be teaching about the Potato Famine shortly. I was told that Irish Gaelic had over 17 words to describe the potato and different ways of preparing it. Is this true, and if so, please what are they as I would like to include them in my lessons. Thank you.

potato - práta
In Conamara they say fata for the humble spud.
New potatoes - prátaí nua or prátaí úra
Boiled potatoes - prátaí bruite
Roast potatoes - prátaí rósta
Chips/Fries - sceallóga (prátaí)
Floury potato - práta plúrach

Post May 07 2006, 17:01 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

The "17 words" thing sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, like the Eskimos supposedly having a hundred words for snow. I'm only aware of one word for potato (práta and fáta are basically the same word; it's just a dialect variation). There are names for different varieties of potatoes, just as there are in English, and names for different potato dishes, just as in English.

Post May 07 2006, 17:07 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

In addition to the dishes kgleoite gave you, there's also

boxty = bocstaí??? in Irish
http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/cu ... boxty.shtm

colcannon = cál ceannan in Irish
Mashed potatoes with cabbage
http://www.recipezaar.com/browse/getrec ... ath=00D05E

Post May 07 2006, 17:17 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

well to polish an old chestnut

bheadh na fataí nite bruite is ite ag an gconnachtach sula mbeidís ráite ag an muimhneach
Níl leigheas ar ghrá ach pósadh

Post May 07 2006, 18:56 PM
Tadhg an Mhargaidh
Scéalaí Mór

Riadach wrote:well to polish an old chestnut

bheadh na fataí nite bruite is ite ag an gconnachtach sula mbeidís ráite ag an muimhneach

Go díreach glan, a mhac. :)

Isn't póirín used for small potatoes?
Beatha teanga í a labhairt,
buanú teanga í a scríobh.
(neafaisiú teanga í a thatuáil?)

Post May 07 2006, 19:50 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

and scoilteán is a potato word but can't remember what exactly it means.

Post May 07 2006, 19:51 PM
Riadach
Craiceáilte

and brúitín is mashed potatoes, hopefully with scallions and a drop of milk. to die for.

Post May 07 2006, 19:52 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Riadach wrote:and scoilteán is a potato word but can't remember what exactly it means.

Potato set.

Redwolf

Post May 07 2006, 19:57 PM
kgleoite
Giostaire

Riadach wrote:and brúitín is mashed potatoes, hopefully with scallions and a drop of milk. to die for.

Please add butter too mmmm!
When I was little we used to call this 'pandy'. Anyone know why?

Next