Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

what does "mé, tá dobhriste orm" mean?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 25 2006, 17:09 PM
raifteiri
New Arrival

what does "mé, tá dobhriste orm" mean? or what is the translation for it...?

Post April 25 2006, 17:22 PM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

raifteiri wrote:what does "mé, tá dobhriste orm" mean? or what is the translation for it...?

I don't think it means anything.

Literally, it's "I, unbreakable is on me."

I suppose in a stretch you could make it out as "Me, I'm called "unbreakable."

But I think it was somebody just putting words together randomly without the proper precautions.

JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

raifteiri wrote:what does "mé, tá dobhriste orm" mean? or what is the translation for it...?

It's a little off grammatically, but I think it's trying to say, I am un-breakable.
Beidh ár lá linn.......go luath!!

I'm a beginner. Wait for more input with my translations.

Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

"I, I am unbreakable."

I'm not sure about the grammar with this at all. Not sure why you have the extra "I" ("mé") in there. I'd think, if it were needed to stand alone like that, you'd want the emphatic form: "mise." But I could be wrong about that. I also think that "Tá mé dobhriste" makes more sense than "tá dobriste orm."

Where did you get this?

Redwolf

Post April 25 2006, 17:23 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Looks like we all jumped on this one! :lach:

Redwolf

Post April 25 2006, 17:32 PM
breandan_ui_ciarraide
Laoch na nGael

well, it's better than "Tá mo bhríste trí thine" :mrgreen:
Breandán
Spreading wisdom via repetitive application of the Cluebat Image
--
I have never been formally taught and absorbed cussing and such growing up, so I'm good with insults, but wait for confirmation on everything else :-)

Post April 25 2006, 17:36 PM
julius
Andúileach IGTF

Redwolf wrote:

"I, I am unbreakable."

I'm not sure about the grammar with this at all. Not sure why you have the extra "I" ("mé") in there. I'd think, if it were needed to stand alone like that, you'd want the emphatic form: "mise." But I could be wrong about that. I also think that "Tá mé dobhriste" makes more sense than "tá dobriste orm."

Where did you get this?

Redwolf

As a matter of fact, Tá mé dobhriste is what I gave for "I'm unbreakable" to the poster a few days ago, if my mind is not playin' tricks on me, though there were a few more inputs after mine and I'm not sure which one was agreed.
Tá an domhan uile ina stáitse agus teastaíonn cleachtadh go géar ón mórchuid againn.
-Seán Ó Cathasaigh

Iúil Ó Cofaigh

Post April 25 2006, 18:11 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Uh oh...is this another duplicate?

Let me see if I can find the original so I can lock this one.

Raifteiri, if you posted a request for this before, you need to ask for clarification on the original thread...that way we can all see who's done what, and why.

Redwolf

Post April 25 2006, 18:13 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Here's the original thread. Let's keep it there from now on:

ftopic42760.html

Redwolf