Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Jennifer

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 23 2006, 1:36 AM
robin_bell
New Arrival

Does anyone know the Gaelic name for Jennifer? I know Jennie is in the dictionary so I found that one but I need Jennifer.

Post February 23 2006, 1:40 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

robin_bell wrote:Does anyone know the Gaelic name for Jennifer? I know Jennie is in the dictionary so I found that one but I need Jennifer.

Jennifer doesn't really have an Irish form. It's a Cornish form of a Welsh name. Here's more, from Namenerds:

Jennifer is a Cornish form of the Welsh name Gwynhwyfar. In English, we also know this name as Guenivere, King Arthur's queen. It has never been translated into Irish. However, it is made up from elements meaning "white; blessed; holy" and "smooth." Fionnait is an Irish name meaning "white." This could be used as a semi-translation of Jennifer. Jennifer is often (inaccurately) listed as meaning "white wave" in many baby name books. I've gotten lots of e-mails from irate Jennifers who like this meaning and want to stick with it. If you like this meaning, then perhaps Muireann (MWIR in) would be a good translation for Jennifer--it means "sea-white" in Irish.

Please note two things:

1) The Welsh form of the name is misspelled in the Namenerds article, but I can't for the life of me remember the correct way to spell it.

2) "Fionnait" is only a workaround. It's not a "translation" of "Jennifer," nor is it an Irish form of "Jennifer"...it's just a name with a similar meaning.

Redwolf