Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

What's 'Freedom' in Gaelic?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 08 2002, 22:47 PM
zorbathegeek
New Arrival

My girlfriend is having a child, and I think (hope) it would make a really nice name... perhaps a little pretentious!!! I've got a lot of Irish family and would like to reflect that in his name.

Thanks! Liam

Post August 10 2002, 21:09 PM
C_Gallagher
New Arrival

Hi Liam,

The Irish translation for 'freedom' is Saoirse (SEER-sha) and is a popular name for girls in Ireland. I think its a gorgeous name and would consider it in the future if I ever had a wee girl!

Good Luck!
Luv Carole :D

Post August 12 2002, 1:36 AM
zorbathegeek
New Arrival

Thanks for the reply CG -

Is there like a MALE version? Or is it unisex...

Liam

Post August 12 2002, 12:37 PM
irishgaelictranslator
Site Admin

C_Gallagher said it was a popular name in Ireland, but I can't say I've heard it being used before. It sounds basically like a newish name. And all it is is the word for "peace" in Irish. If people have begun to use it for girls and not boys, there would not be a special reason for that. There is no "male" version of the word, it just means peace plain and simple.

Post August 13 2002, 2:37 AM
zorbathegeek
New Arrival

Well there I go showing my lack of knowledge again.... ;)

Thanks for the feedback

Post August 13 2002, 20:46 PM
C_Gallagher
New Arrival

Mmmmm, have to say I was pretty positive that 'Saoirse' translates into freedom - the Republican newspaper, Saoirse also claims that the name is from the Irish for Freedom.

I know quite a few Irish girls my age (22) called Saoirse so it cant be that new a name.

Carole

Post August 14 2002, 12:47 PM
irishgaelictranslator
Site Admin

Ok, I just haven't heard it used myself. And yes, you're totally correct. The translation for "freedom" is "saoirse".[/i]

Post August 14 2002, 23:45 PM
zorbathegeek
New Arrival

Well, that name's quite growing on me at the moment - so thanks for your help, both of yez ;)

Post August 16 2002, 20:02 PM
C_Gallagher
New Arrival

No probs Liam,

Good Luck with everything! :lol:

Luv Carole