Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

"Pleased to meet you"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post December 12 2005, 18:07 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

This seems to be an odd gap in my education. If I'm introduced to someone in Irish, how would I say something like "I'm pleased to meet you/make your acquaintance"?

Redwolf

Post December 12 2005, 18:10 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Is deas casadh leat
It's nice to meet you

Just an idea -- I don't know if that's actually something that would be said, or not.

Abigeál

Post December 12 2005, 18:11 PM
Asarlaí

Redwolf wrote:This seems to be an odd gap in my education. If I'm introduced to someone in Irish, how would I say something like "I'm pleased to meet you/make your acquaintance"?

Redwolf

Tá áthas orm bualadh leat (more formal perhaps)
Last edited by Asarlaí on December 12 2005, 18:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post December 12 2005, 18:11 PM
Conor
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

What's you often hear is [Is] Deas bualadh leat (usually the "is" is dropped)

Post December 12 2005, 19:05 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

I'll just add that the most common thing to say after you're introduced to someone is Cad é mar atá tú or variants thereof. So the reason why you didn't know how to say "I'm pleased to meet you" is that it's not as commonly said in Irish.

Post December 12 2005, 19:13 PM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

Tá áthas orm bualadh leat is what I'd say

Followed by "Nach dtomhaisfidh tú m'ainm?"

:twisted: (literally!) Hee!