Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How do you say "Happy Anniversary" ?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 25 2005, 0:30 AM
afinley
New Arrival

How do you say "Happy Anniversary" ?

Post October 25 2005, 1:10 AM
GrainneBhaoil
Scéalaí Mór

Hello there

Go maire tú an lá (to one person)
Go maire sibh an lá (to more than one)

This is a general way to say 'congratulations on the day'. Literal terms for 'anniversary' are more complicated and depend on the exact occasion.

Wait for more :wink:
Once, as a child, out in a field of sheep/Thomas Hardy pretended to be dead/And lay down flat among their dainty shins.
In that sniffed-at, bleated-into, grassy space/He experimented with infinity/His small cool brow was like an anvil waiting
For sky to make it sing the prefect pitch/Of his dumb being, and that stir he caused/In the fleece-hustle was the original
Of a ripple that would travel eighty years/Outward from there, to be the same ripple/Inside him at its last circumference.

Post October 25 2005, 1:42 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

If afinley is from America, I would assume that "wedding anniversary" is what's meant. Here we tend to say just "anniversary" for that occasion, and only get specific if we mean something other than a wedding (for example, the anniversary of our first date, or my first day at work, etc.).

Would that be "lá pósta" (?)

Redwolf

Post October 25 2005, 1:48 AM
GrainneBhaoil
Scéalaí Mór

Good stuff a RW. The anniversary thing is a tough nut to crack (for me anyway). I can give it a shot with:

Cothrom an lae (a phós sibh) sona duit/daoibh
Happy anniversary (of the day you married) to you/you plural

Best to wait for more :wink:
Once, as a child, out in a field of sheep/Thomas Hardy pretended to be dead/And lay down flat among their dainty shins.
In that sniffed-at, bleated-into, grassy space/He experimented with infinity/His small cool brow was like an anvil waiting
For sky to make it sing the prefect pitch/Of his dumb being, and that stir he caused/In the fleece-hustle was the original
Of a ripple that would travel eighty years/Outward from there, to be the same ripple/Inside him at its last circumference.