Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Euchre?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 20 2005, 7:18 AM
wpietri
New Arrival

Hi! I was just looking at the Wikipedia entry for Euchre, a card game. Someone anonymously added some information that I'm double-checking. One claim they made is that "The name, euchre, actually comes from the Gaelic word for teamwork." I'm suspicious.

Anybody here have opinions?

Thanks!

Post October 20 2005, 8:12 AM
an Loideach
Gaeilgeoir

It is possible that the word Euchre derives from some Irish Gaelic word that I am not aware of - but in it's current form it certainly doesn't have any Irish appearance about it, as I can't think of any other irish words with the combination of the letters 'eu', plus, the word wouldn't end with an e if u was the last vowel used in the word.
(...I'm finding the caol le caol rule hard to abbreviate there, but there is a rule!)

Post October 20 2005, 9:49 AM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I don't think Mr./Ms. Anonymous is correct.

The word euchre is first recorded in 1848. If it were indeed derived from an Irish word, that's recent enough that it should bear at least some sort of resemblance, in pronunciation if not in spelling.

The Irish word I'm familiar with for "teamwork" is comhar. I'd pronounce it KUH-wer (like "cover," but with a "w" in place of the "v"). Certainly not at all like YOO-ker! :)

Wait for more definitive input, just in case there's something I'm missing. I've only been learning Irish for about a year.

Abigeál

Post October 20 2005, 12:05 PM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

Hi ,this is a long shot but the Irish for a team of plough horses is'Seisreach'tho' I dont really think there is a link. :idea: Wait for more from others.

Post October 20 2005, 13:17 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Could it be Scottish Gaelic? I think I've seen that "eu" combination in SG before.

Redwolf

Post October 20 2005, 13:29 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

The closest word I can think of:

eochair
key

But as Redwolf says, it might be Scottish Gaelic.

Post October 20 2005, 13:44 PM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

Or it might not be any kind of Gaelic at all.

The word looks French, too me. But my dictionary says "origin unknown."

Post October 20 2005, 13:54 PM
mcclane
Laoch na nGael

Probably not correct but ...

"The origin of "euchre" (which has also been spelled "uker," "yuker" and "eucre" at various points since its appearance around 1848) is a bit of a puzzle. You're right about "Eucharist," which means both the institution and the elements of the Christian Communion ceremony, having nothing to do with the game of euchre, although it might be interesting if it did. The root of "Eucharist" is the Greek "eukharistia," meaning "gratitude." And a "eukaryote" (as it's usually spelled) is a cell with a complex nucleus, but probably not complex enough to want to play cards.

All of which leads us to the one even remotely plausible theory about "euchre" I've been able to root out, which is that "euchre" comes from the Spanish phrase "ser yuca," meaning "to be the best" or "to win." This origin would certainly make sense given the highly competitive nature of the game, and would also fit in with the slang use of "euchre" as a verb meaning "to win decisively." "
Bás roimh easonóir

Post October 20 2005, 16:05 PM
wpietri
New Arrival

Thanks, folks! I'll trim the dubious information from Wikipedia.

Another theory about the origin of the name is that it comes from a game called Jucker:

http://www.pagat.com/euchre/euchre.html#historical

Regards,

William