Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

SPLIT: "Not all who wander are lost" translation

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 11 2005, 17:49 PM
Thorn1
New Arrival

If you don't mind me borrowing the post, here's another tattoo translation request:

"Not All Who Wander Are Lost."

Thanks to one and all.

Post October 11 2005, 18:00 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Our usual practice is to give each translation request its own thread. It's less confusing that way -- if someone offers a correction or an alternative to superfly_182's request, it won't get mixed up with the input to yours.

I've split this one off for you. ;)

Here it is, from our FAQ:

Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte
/NEEL gukh IL-uh AW-nee KYLE-chuh/
Not all who wander are lost

Abigeál

Post October 11 2005, 19:24 PM
Quenduluin
Anseo again

This is my favourite line of verse :o) I think I'm going to add the gaelic translation to the english form in my Signature ;-)
Not all those who wander are lost.

Post October 11 2005, 19:35 PM
Thorn1
New Arrival

Thank you very much. In the future, I promise to start a new thread. :oops: :wink:

Post October 11 2005, 19:40 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

No problem. That's what moderators are here for. ;)

Post October 11 2005, 20:19 PM
Hound of the sea
Gaeilgeoir

Sorry to be picky but if you are going to quote Tolkien the line is 'not all those who wander are lost'

Post October 11 2005, 20:21 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Well, either way... the translation into Irish would be the same. You'd have to say "not all those people" for it to make any difference, I think.

Fair enough, though.

Post October 11 2005, 20:26 PM
Hound of the sea
Gaeilgeoir

Abigeál wrote:Well, either way... the translation into Irish would be the same. You'd have to say "not all those people" for it to make any difference, I think.

Fair enough, though.

I agree, your original translation was great, I just love that poem and hate to see good poetry misquoted.

Post October 11 2005, 22:02 PM
Thorn1
New Arrival

I'm sorry you were picky, too, and even sorrier I didn't know that was Tolkien. As far as I knew, it was just a line I've heard here and there that I believed to be true! Good lesson.

Post October 11 2005, 22:26 PM
Hound of the sea
Gaeilgeoir

Thorn1 if you like that you'll probably relate to the rest of the poem ( or at least the first few lines), its from Lord of the Rings and relates to Aragorn (Strider) the disinherited King

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king

Next