Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Family Motto in Need of Translation

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 06 2005, 2:56 AM
cutlassdude70
New Arrival

I have discovered that the Mahoney family motto is "Thus we guard our sacred rights." I was hoping to have the Gaelic translation of this phrase incorporated into a tattoo. Anyone know what that translation would be? Thanks!

Post September 06 2005, 3:22 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

It might be easier to look it up (which we can try to do) :? In any case, most family mottos were originally in Latin, not Irish. Do you want the Irish translation even if the original language of the motto was something else?

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post September 06 2005, 16:30 PM
cutlassdude70
New Arrival

I know that the family motto was originally in Latin (and I have the Latin), but I would rather have the Gaelic translation. Thanks!

Post September 06 2005, 16:44 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Could you post the Latin, please?

The reason is that sometimes liberties are taken with the Latin-to-English translation -- if we translate such a thing into a third language, without access to the original, it'll just become even less accurate.

Abigeál

Post September 06 2005, 19:35 PM
cutlassdude70
New Arrival

Now I'm actually a bit more confused... Depending on which Web site I look at, I'm finding two different mottos for Mahoney (originally O'Mahony). The first is "sic nos sic sacra tuemur" (thus we guard our sacred rights). The second I've found is "It blazes before us to victory". I have, however, found what appears to be the Irish of this latter motto - "Lasair romhuin a-buadh". ???

Post September 06 2005, 19:40 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

What you've found might be Old Irish - or at least, if it's modern Irish, it appears to be slightly misspelled.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post September 06 2005, 20:06 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

It happened sometimes that different individuals with the same last name (related or unrelated) would be awarded coats of arms. Thus you'd wind up with multiple sets of "family mottoes" for the same family.

(Technically, of course, the coat of arms belongs to only one person in each branch of the family -- the eldest son of the eldest son of . . . of the eldest son of whoever first received the arms.)

To know which family motto is yours, you'd have to know which Mahoneys were your ancestors, the defend-our-sacred-rights crowd or the blazes-to-victory folks.

Abigeál

Post September 06 2005, 23:00 PM
Antóin
Giostaire

cutlassdude70 wrote:Now I'm actually a bit more confused... Depending on which Web site I look at, I'm finding two different mottos for Mahoney (originally O'Mahony). The first is "sic nos sic sacra tuemur" (thus we guard our sacred rights). The second I've found is "It blazes before us to victory". I have, however, found what appears to be the Irish of this latter motto - "Lasair romhuin a-buadh". ???

Today's spelling:

"Lasair romhainn Abú"

Post September 07 2005, 15:46 PM
cutlassdude70
New Arrival

Thanks for all your help!