Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Pronunciation for "Muiredach"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 16 2005, 1:14 AM
Ballyshannon
Gaeilgeoir

I recently bought a beautiful gold Muiredach cross, and would like to know the correct pronunciation of Muiredach.

Grma....
Donnacadh
I'm a beginner and tend to experiment, so wait for more opinions...and please feel free to correct my Irish grammar.

Post July 16 2005, 2:16 AM
Kwekubo
Gaeilgeoir

Roughly: MWIH-ra-dokh

Post July 16 2005, 2:21 AM
blixt
Scéalaí Mór

An é sin an litriú ceart? Caol le caol agus mar seo ...
Image Bond. Ionic Bond. Taken, not shared.

Post July 16 2005, 2:30 AM
Kwekubo
Gaeilgeoir

blixt wrote:An é sin an litriú ceart? Caol le caol agus mar seo ...

Good point. I think Muireadach is the right spelling, according to Google.

Post July 16 2005, 10:28 AM
Niall Mór
Laoch na nGael

no - names don't always conform to caol le caol since that was brought in in fairly recently Muiredach is AFAIK the right way to spell the name.
www.nigelmcloughlin.com Garda na dTóineanna
I have a University Diploma in Irish and a Fáinne Óir
but this does NOT mean that I can't be wrong!
If this is going on Skin, Stone or Precious Metal
ALWAYS GET AT LEAST ONE CONFIRMATION

Post July 16 2005, 15:29 PM
Ballyshannon
Gaeilgeoir

Aside from that spelling on all the Irish jewelry web sites (from Ireland), it's also the same spelling as on a Co. Louth web site dedicated to the meaning of the Muireadach cross, its origins, and explanations of the figures on the cross. Hopefully, they spelled it correctly!

Donnacadh
I'm a beginner and tend to experiment, so wait for more opinions...and please feel free to correct my Irish grammar.