Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Need a translation from a movie

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 12 2005, 22:15 PM
Juls_Oh
New Arrival

Hello,
I'm sorry if this was already posted, but I just finished watching the movie, "Million Dollar Baby", and they used the name/phrase (to the best of my knowledge)...

Mo Guishlo, or Mo Guishla....

What does that mean?

Thanks,
Juls

Post July 12 2005, 22:17 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Mo chuisle, which means literally "my pulse", but it's used as an endearment in Irish (i.e. not an entirely strange thing to call someone). If you're addressing someone with the term, though, which is probably the usual usage, it should be a chuisle. With mo it is used only when talking about the person, to someone else.

When the movie came out, we had a thread with a full explanation permanently stuck at the top of the forum, since so many people were asking about it. It's probably still there somewhere, so you can search for it if you want.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post July 12 2005, 22:27 PM
Juls_Oh
New Arrival

Wow....
Thanks for the speedy reply! I appreciate the information, and will take a look at what was already posted. I had just finsihed watching the movie, and was still curious as to what it meant. I'm surprised that they never revealed the meaning in the movie. I would think that on her death bed, he would have told her. lol

Great movie by the way, and not what I expected. Probably why it was given so many awards. :wink:

Thanks again!

Juls

Post July 12 2005, 22:27 PM
Cymro-Breatnach
Giostaire

It's in the 'Frequent translations' - just under the shamrock on the left hand side of the page. :wink:
"Dúid" Breatnach an tí. Is Breatnach deas mé.
Cymru 11 Lloegr 9 (Wales 11 England 9) Ha Ha!

My Irish is not very good, but I have kickass Welsh! I don't make mistakes in Welsh.

Post May 19 2008, 1:27 AM
vjs123
New Arrival

It was revealed in the movie. Right before he helped her die. Were we watching the same movie?!

Post May 19 2008, 1:28 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

vjs123 wrote:It was revealed in the movie. Right before he helped her die. Were we watching the same movie?!

This thread is ancient.

Clint both misspelled and mistranslated that phrase, which is why it's in the FAQ. It does not, in any way, shape or form, mean "my darling, my blood."

Redwolf

Post May 19 2008, 1:31 AM
vjs123
New Arrival

That's what it meant to him, obviously.

Post May 19 2008, 3:19 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

vjs123 wrote:That's what it meant to him, obviously.

It doesn't matter what it may have meant to him. It's not what it means...and a lot of people were very much mislead by that line in the movie (you should have seen all the requests we had for "my darling, my blood"...and they were the lucky ones! Think of all the people who had that tattooed on them without double checking!). Then there's the fact that it was misspelled as well...(and then totally screwed up by Hillary Swank at the Oscars).

If people are going to be using words from a language they don't understand in a movie, they really have an obligation to make sure they are using them correctly. This is a real language...not something made up, that movie directors can rearrange and assign new meanings to will they nil they.

FWIW, "mo chuisle" (spelled correctly) means "my pulse," and is a truncation of a longer and well-known endearment "cuisle mo chroí" ("pulse of my heart").

Redwolf

Post May 21 2008, 3:02 AM
vjs123
New Arrival

Well, I agree with you; I would like for movies to be accurate as well. However, I realize that many times, they are not. The Bible and other historical books are often misquoted and/or misinterpreted as well, especially on the big screen.

I can see where they got my darling (a term of endearment) my blood from "my pulse". It is unfortunate that they misspelled it and made this misinterpretation of it so well known. I can see how this would be especially upsetting to someone who knows the language and culture well.

I wasn't aware of the Hillary Swank issue - I don't really pay attention to pop culture or watch award shows.

Thanks for your help with the translation - I looked it up mid-way through the movie and knowing it made his affection for her more apparent to me.

Post May 21 2008, 3:03 AM
vjs123
New Arrival

PS - Hilarious about the tattoos!