Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

roisin dubh

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 08 2005, 1:52 AM
perdantverlierer
New Arrival

what does roisin dubh mean in english? it's from a song,
the lyrics are like,

"say goodbye, sweet roisin dubh, say goodbye"

i know it's pronounced something like Rowsheen dove.

please help! i wanna know what i'm singing along to xD

Post July 08 2005, 1:56 AM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Róisín Dubh is literally "little dark rose."

In the song, it refers to a woman -- who, in turn, is a metaphor for Ireland.

Abigeál

Post July 08 2005, 2:30 AM
Kwekubo
Gaeilgeoir

Róisín is a quite common girls' name in Ireland. So you could also translate it as "dark Róisín" - but Abigeál's interpretation is more accurate, as Róisín Dubh is a personification of Ireland.

Other female Anglo-Irish representations of Ireland are "Cathleen ni Houlihan", the "Shan Van Vocht" and the "Orange Maid".
Last edited by Kwekubo on July 08 2005, 3:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 08 2005, 2:38 AM
kevo_1202
Gaeilgeoir

Do we have another Flogging Molly fan?

Kevo?
Sail away where no ball or chain can keep us from the roaring waves, together undivided but forever we'll be free.

Post July 08 2005, 4:34 AM
Scotaigh
Laoch na nGael

certainly, it's "To Youth (My Sweet Roisin Dunh)" from the "Within a Mile of Home" album...."and so goodbye sweet roisin dubh, i say goodbye... :lach:
Image*Gaeilgeoir ó Mhí an Mheán Fómhair 2004*
(A learner of Irish since September 2004)

**I also know Spanish, & Elvish (Sindarin & Quenya)**
If you suspect that something you want translated is a Tolkien language, ask me and i'll have it to you ASAP!.
Image Image

Post July 08 2005, 5:01 AM
Séafra
Scéalaí Mór

Scotaigh wrote:certainly, it's "To Youth (My Sweet Roisin Dunh)" from the "Within a Mile of Home" album...."and so goodbye sweet roisin dubh, i say goodbye... :lach:

Oh, well Clearly!!...

:wink:

Post July 08 2005, 9:10 AM
natchet
New Arrival

Search this forum. I found a cool poem written about Roisin Dubh and I posted it on another topic asking the same question. It's in Irish and English. I'll spare you all by not posting it again. I wasn't aware that it was a personification for Erin but that's is nice. And why not?

Oh and excuse the Irish-American. Heh. Kind of like Tex-Mex down here in Austin.

Have a great weekend, guys n' gals.

~Natch