Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

correct meaning and connotation for "honor"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 04 2005, 21:00 PM
Kelt9
New Arrival

Hi. I'm new to the forum and was looking for the translation of the word "honor" in Irish-Gaelic. Just from poking around I've found "Onóir". Is this meaning honor as a title; or honor such as a person would possess, perhaps as one's personal honor in dealing with others? I'm looking for the latter and plan to make it into a tattoo...

Other recent research gave me "onóraigh". Which one should I use, if either? Thanks in advance! :)

Post July 04 2005, 21:07 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Onóraigh is a verb; onóir is a noun. I think that the meanings are more or less the same as the English word "honor," but wait for more input on that.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post July 04 2005, 21:24 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Kelt9 wrote:Hi. I'm new to the forum and was looking for the translation of the word "honor" in Irish-Gaelic. Just from poking around I've found "Onóir". Is this meaning honor as a title; or honor such as a person would possess, perhaps as one's personal honor in dealing with others? I'm looking for the latter and plan to make it into a tattoo...

Other recent research gave me "onóraigh". Which one should I use, if either? Thanks in advance! :)

Onóir is the word you're looking for. It's the concept of honor, not a title (such as "your honor" or "the most honorable so-and-so").

Redwolf

Post July 04 2005, 21:37 PM
Kelt9
New Arrival

Such quick replies! I'll check back for confirmations, but thanks! ;D

Post July 04 2005, 22:01 PM
Conor
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Onóir :gut:

Post July 05 2005, 0:19 AM
Kelt9
New Arrival

Keen! Now all I have to do is fine a nice typeface and figure out where I want it. Many thanks. :D

Post July 05 2005, 1:35 AM
breandan_ui_ciarraide
Laoch na nGael

There is also Enech, as in Lóg nEnech, the old measure of one's honour-price. It literally means "face" (Lóg nEnech meaning "Price of the Face") in Old Irish, and is a literal measure of honour by the laws of the Fénechas (a.k.a. "Brehon Law"). If you are looking for the long-standing measure of, or concept of honour, that would be it :-)
Breandán
Spreading wisdom via repetitive application of the Cluebat Image
--
I have never been formally taught and absorbed cussing and such growing up, so I'm good with insults, but wait for confirmation on everything else :-)

Post July 05 2005, 5:18 AM
Kelt9
New Arrival

Hmm. Now I'm in a quandry, but a happy one. I suppose I meant such as a warrior would have, or even the Asian concept of "face". ...or the honor in one's word. Sounds like yours may be closer to what I want, Breandan.

What a responsive forum this is. I feel very well looked after. :wink:

Post July 05 2005, 6:47 AM
breandan_ui_ciarraide
Laoch na nGael

Kelt9 wrote:What a responsive forum this is. I feel very well looked after. :wink:
Just mind your beer, there's some hereabouts who'll snatch it :mrgreen:

As for Lóg nEnech, to quote Professor Kelly-
"...high status thus reflects early Irish society's deep preoccupation with honour (enech lit. 'face'): it is damaged through satire and increased through praise." - A Guide to Early Irish Law, Fergus Kelly, Dublin Institute For Advanced Studies, 1998 (1988), p. 43
Lóg nEnech was (and still is among the Traditionalist communities) a combination of many things- a form of credit, a legal measure of one's status, a financial measure of one's honour, etc. Basically, your word is your bond among the Gael, but Lóg nEnech tells how much that word is worth :-) There are huge differences in the mechanics of how it was implemented two mellennia ago and how it is dealt with today, but the concept is still the same.
Breandán
Spreading wisdom via repetitive application of the Cluebat Image
--
I have never been formally taught and absorbed cussing and such growing up, so I'm good with insults, but wait for confirmation on everything else :-)

Post July 05 2005, 16:49 PM
Kelt9
New Arrival

A friend from another forum just warned me not to get a name tattooed on me... Apparently, a lot of translations gotten from the internet are people's names such as "Faith", or "Hope", etc.

Personally I think I'm on the right track here. One of my main personality attributes is an extreme preoccupation with my honor. Guess its genetic then. :)

...hands off my Guinness, mister. It only just got warm enough to drink. :lol:

Next