Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

how do you say "little boy"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 21 2005, 0:58 AM
ninacohill59
New Arrival

How do you say "little boy" in gaelic? My son is 6 months and I want to start calling him it....please give me the name and how to say it..thank you![/b]

Post May 21 2005, 1:02 AM
Brian
Andúileach IGTF

A bhuachaill beag
It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.

Post May 21 2005, 1:05 AM
Deb
Giostaire

a rough phonetic rendering would be

ah BOO-kay-ill bug
Tá mé ag foghlaim i gcónaí. With translations, it is best to wait for someone more adept than I to confirm.

Post May 21 2005, 1:07 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

You can also say "a bhuachaillín"

Redwolf

Post May 21 2005, 1:20 AM
daralius
Getting Addicted

If it's your son you can use that lovely wee tradition of using derogatory terms to show your endearment,

mo phiteogín- <mo FITCH-yo-geen> my little weasel (actually a kinda compliment, considering Celtic adoration of the weasel)

mo stocachaín- < mo SToch-a-geen> my little lad/knockabout
mo scuigín - <mo skig-een> my little hoodlum

You can also just take his name and add the postfix 'ín' <een> to imply youth and ownership.

the phonetics are in the Ulster- read 'best'- dialect
hope these may inspire you and many years of happiness to you and your child
slán, Conchúr