Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How to say God Bless in gaelic

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 14 2005, 0:11 AM
deftone2
Anseo again

I've basically been to every relative who is irish and asked if they can translate "God Bless" and everyone has forgotten their Gaelic (parents and other aunts and uncles immigrated to Canada, and have forgotten) I was wondering if anyone can translate "God Bless" A reminder that it is for a tattoo. Thanks for the help :D

Post May 14 2005, 0:14 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

deftone2 wrote:I've basically been to every relative who is irish and asked if they can translate "God Bless" and everyone has forgotten their Gaelic (parents and other aunts and uncles immigrated to Canada, and have forgotten) I was wondering if anyone can translate "God Bless" A reminder that it is for a tattoo. Thanks for the help :D

We'll need to know "who" God is blessing here. "God bless you," "God bless me," "God bless us all"...all are going to be slightly different in Irish.

For "God bless you" (to one person), I'd say "Beannachtaí Dé ort," but wait for further input on that.

Redwolf

Post May 14 2005, 0:17 AM
deftone2
Anseo again

Is it just possible to get God Bless on its own?

Post May 14 2005, 0:19 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

deftone2 wrote:Is it just possible to get God Bless on its own?

No, because an object is required in Irish.

Redwolf

Post May 14 2005, 0:24 AM
Brian
Andúileach IGTF

you can say

Dia leat
It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.

Post May 14 2005, 0:25 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Pól wrote:you can say

Dia leat

Sure, but that also gives an object...in that case "God with you."

Redwolf

Post May 14 2005, 0:27 AM
Brian
Andúileach IGTF

too technical for me

God Bless - for a sneeze is

Dia Linn

Where is the object?
It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.

Post May 14 2005, 0:33 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Pól wrote:too technical for me

God Bless - for a sneeze is

Dia Linn

Where is the object?

Well, in that case, it's in "linn"...God with us. "Us" is the object of the action (God's blessing) and is contained in the prepositional pronoun.

Any of the above can work, but the poster wants "God bless" in general, without an object (i.e., not "God bless you," God bless us," "God bless the Pope," etc.).

Redwolf

Post May 14 2005, 10:00 AM
Conor
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Beannacht Dé doesn't specify an object.

Post May 14 2005, 12:09 PM
deftone2
Anseo again

Beannacht Dé? Can I get a confirmation on that one from someone else...just want to make sure cause its suppose to be for a tattoo.

Next