Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

how do you say 'love'...

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 20 2002, 22:35 PM
elegy
Anseo again

Does anyone know how to say 'Love' in Gaelic? It's for a small story that im writing and i just wanted to know.

Post July 21 2002, 8:29 AM
irishgaelictranslator
Site Admin

grá = love
graw

Post July 24 2002, 1:12 AM
elegy
Anseo again

thank you for the reply. I hate to bother you anymore but is 'grá' the same as 'my love', or just 'love' in general, or could it be used as both?

Post July 25 2002, 20:52 PM
Liambashinemotheach
New Arrival

Elegy,
I just found this site so I hope I'm not late. Eoin must be busy, for he does surely know.
Grá means Love.
It is sometimes used as "a Grá" to mean "my love", but literally "mo Grá" are the words "my love".
An Gaeilge go deo!
Liam Ó Mealloid

Post July 26 2002, 21:41 PM
irishgaelictranslator
Site Admin

That's right.

In Irish, when you're addressing someone you place "a" in front of the word and more often than not it places a "h" after the first letter if the first letter is a consonant. This is for grammatical reasons.

So to address someone:

A ghrá = my love / dear love
a graw

a chara = my friend
a kor-a