Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translate "bhfuil" to english

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 12 2005, 3:30 AM
Jsn
New Arrival

Someone I know has a tatoo and refuses to tell anyone what it means. I am the most curious person ever (ok, not quite ever but at least that I know) and really want to know what it means. I have spent an hour of intense search on google and was unable to find a direct one word translation. I am wondering the english meaning of the word bhfuil. Thank you very much for your time.

Post April 12 2005, 3:41 AM
JonO
Getting Addicted

as far as i know, its the present tense of the english 'to be.' the verb being 'bí.' its one of the irregulars. don't quote me, i'm really not sure if my sources are correct.

Post April 12 2005, 3:48 AM
Jsn
New Arrival

Thanks. I dont really understand why someone would tatoo that on themselves...hmmmm. :? If someone would like to confirm or revise JonO's translation I would really appreciate it.

Post April 12 2005, 4:04 AM
Gaeilgeoir
Giostaire

Jon0 is right.

It's part of Bí, the verb to be, in present tense

An bhfuil tú...? Are you?
Nach bhfuil tú...? Aren't you?

Why on Earth anyone would want just the word 'bhfuil' tattooed on them is beyond me. :roll:

-Maidhc

Labhair í agus mairfaidh sí! Éire Abú!
As always, wait for others' opinions on translations until a consensus has been reached.

Post April 12 2005, 4:04 AM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

You're sure it's only that one word? 8O

He's right, it's just a form of the verb "to be." It's pronounced sort of like "whill."

Abigeál

Post April 12 2005, 4:14 AM
Jsn
New Arrival

Yes it is just that one word. A girl (and her sister) that I know have it tatooed on their foot. It's some sister bond thingy... I guess there must be some meaning that I cant understand just from knowing the meaning of the word. Maybe someone has an idea...cause if you dont then I am stumped.

Post April 12 2005, 4:26 AM
Séafra
Scéalaí Mór

yah, that's kind of an odd thing to get inked on yourself...

Post April 12 2005, 5:10 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

By itself, it really doesn't mean anything at all. It is a form of the verb "be," but it can't stand alone...it's used to ask questions, and needs to be conbined with an interrogative particle:

An bhfuil...? "is it...?

Nach bhfuil...? "Isn't it...?

Ca bhfuil...? "where is...?

Etc.

Redwolf

Post April 12 2005, 6:11 AM
percy19weasley
Getting Addicted

I think people here are right.
Fuil is the dependent form of the present tense of the ver "to be" so it must come with a word, an or some other.

Post April 12 2005, 16:13 PM
Conor
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

percy19weasley wrote:I think people here are right.
Fuil is the dependent form of the present tense of the ver "to be" so it must come with a word, an or some other.

Right :gut:

Dependent form of the present tense of the verb "bí" - just like raibh is the dependent form of the past tense

Next