Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation please...

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 16 2005, 17:27 PM
goldenash
New Arrival

Can anyone translate this for me?

La Feile Phadraig agat freisin. Ta suil agam go mebeadh an la go han mhaith agat amarach.

???
An Irish friend of mine sighed that to an email I sent him, after I wished him a Happy P-day in Gaelic. (stepping into waters I shouldn't have. <G> I just copied it from the web, I do not know an ounce of Gaelic.) :roll:

Post March 16 2005, 17:30 PM
mcclane
Laoch na nGael

La Feile Phadraig agat freisin. Ta suil agam go mebeadh an la go han mhaith agat amarach.

Its full of mistakes but i think he meant to say something like:

La Feile Phadraig agat freisin. - Paddys day to u too ???

Ta suil agam go mebeadh an la go han mhaith agat amarach. - I hope u have a good day tomorrow.

Full of mistakes :P

Post March 16 2005, 18:19 PM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

mcclane wrote:

Its full of mistakes but i think he meant to say something like:

That sounds a bit rude mcclane, if you don't mind me saying so.

It's not a bad piece of Irish at all, please try to avoid this sort of dismissive tone.

We've always had a good vibe on this site, I think all the moderators will agree.

Is leor sin.
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."
Seosamh Mac Grianna, Mo Bhealach Féin

Post March 16 2005, 18:37 PM
mcclane
Laoch na nGael

That sounds a bit rude mcclane, if you don't mind me saying so.

Actually i do. It has mistakes in it, i stated that and i wasn't rude. I'm not great or even particularly good at gaeilge but as far as i can see there are mistakes in it. If i'm wrong correct me since you obviously know better then me and i won't pretend you don't.

If you want people to come here and leave with incorrect spellings then you do that too if you like. I personally want to be as correct and accurate as i can be.

What dictionary do you use that has the word "mebeadh" in it ? :P

Post March 16 2005, 18:40 PM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

Yeah, I know. It's just the tone came across as a bit off.

Too many people are turned off Irish by people telling them their efforts are crap.

Sure, you know yourself, as well as me. :nixweiss:
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."
Seosamh Mac Grianna, Mo Bhealach Féin

Post March 16 2005, 18:52 PM
mcclane
Laoch na nGael

Too many people are turned off Irish by people telling them their efforts are crap.

Yeah cept it wasn't him that wrote it, he was asking us to translate something he got from another source.

If it was his effort i probably wouldn't have been so blunt.

Post March 16 2005, 19:57 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

We often say something a tad mire diplomatic like "there are some mistakes in this, but I think it's meant to say...", and leave it that. If goldenash were to go back to his/her friend and repeat the "full of mistakes" line, the friend might be discouraged or embarassed. On the other hand, if we give encouragement to support people for using Irish, even if they get it wrong, it can help the language to spread.

Post March 16 2005, 20:05 PM
goldenash
New Arrival

That gave me the general gist of what he was saying. I probably would not go back to him and "critique" his grammer/use/etc. The individual was born and raised in Ireland in the countryside somewhere and learned Gaelic from his grand parents and in school. I would feel a bit strange pointing out errors. 8O

Thank you again so much!

Post March 16 2005, 21:48 PM
Somhairle
Laoch na nGael

Missing the accent marks over vowels are classed as spelling mistakes, so I've corrected the phrase and added in where they should be. :)

Also, written was "go mbeadh an lá go han-mhaith agat" which means "that you would have a good day...", when in fact it should be "go mbeidh...." which means "that you WILL have a good day..."

La Feile Phadraig agat freisin. Ta suil agam go mebeadh an la go han mhaith agat amarach

Lá File Pádraig agat freisin. Tá súil agam go mbeidh an lá go han-mhaith agat amarach.

Happy St Patricks Day to you also. I hope that you will have a good day tomorrow.

Am I right or totally off the mark? :oops:

Post March 16 2005, 21:53 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Shouldn't it be "Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona agat freisin"? Otherwise it just says "St. Patrick's Day to you too," not "Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too."

Redwolf[/b]

Next