Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Gaelic for dogs

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 22 2005, 3:36 AM
Stigmatic
Anseo again

So, I'm thinking about getting a new dog, and I really wanted to use Gaelic for the commands for something a little more unique. I'll need a few translations and pronunciations from any willing parties if you please...

First off, I'll probably get a male and am thinking about Cuchulainn as a name. The most common pronunciation of this name I have heard is koo-HOO-lin. If I get a female, I am probably going with Morrigan for the name. If pronounce this simply as it is spelled, but know that this is often not so with Gaelic names and words. If it is pronounced otherwise, please let me know.

Now for the commands...I plan on doing these in Gaelic so that the dog is responsive only to my commands. I have taken a few commands from a link on this site on military commands, but have questions for others as follows...

Aire, meaning attention will be used to call the dog to a sitting position.
Shocracht, meaning stand easy will be used for something akin to heel.
Tairg (from tairg airm meaning present arms), meaning present will be used to have the dog give me his/her paw.
Luí Isteach, meaning fall in will be used as a "come" command.
Leagaígh (from Leagaígh airm for ground arms) will be used to have the dog lay down.
I also need a word for guard to use as a command similar to attack (thought the dog will be small, so it will most likely only induce barking).

So, condensed, I am looking for pronunciations of Aire, Shocracht, Tairg, Luí Isteach, Leagaígh, and a translation/pronunciation for guard. Even if someone has posted a response, please feel free to confirm as I don't feel like thinking I'm telling the dog to lay down when I'm really saying bucket or something stupid like that. Thanks for all your help everyone!
"There is no beast without cruelty."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Post February 22 2005, 12:37 PM
Stigmatic
Anseo again

To be added to the above list, please also provide a pronunciation for Chuirtéis, which means salute. This will be used like the speak command to get the dog to bark. Thanks again for the help!
"There is no beast without cruelty."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Post February 22 2005, 12:45 PM
JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I think we had these before. Did you try a search?
Beidh ár lá linn.......go luath!!

I'm a beginner. Wait for more input with my translations.

Post February 22 2005, 12:49 PM
mcclane
Laoch na nGael

http://www.rdfra.ie/irishmilitarycommands.htm

might be useful.

Your not honestly going to call a dog Cuchulainn are you ?

Post February 22 2005, 14:49 PM
JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Here's one.....

An ndearna tú cac ar an urlar?? :lach:

Post February 22 2005, 14:53 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Jim, you kill me! :rotfl:
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post February 22 2005, 14:56 PM
Tim
Scéalaí Mór

James,

How do you say, "Sic Méabh! Go get her, boy!" in Irish? :lol:
Wait for at least two confirmations or corrections on this/these translations. Completion of a good translation may take time. Go ra' ma'ad.

Tim

Post February 22 2005, 14:57 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I think "Goitse" is "sic em"

Post February 22 2005, 15:23 PM
JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

:love: A Shéamais........ :twisted:

Post February 22 2005, 15:23 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

yer a sucker for the vocative are ya?

Next