Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Million Dollar Baby translations: Look here first!

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 10 2005, 14:19 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

finely wrote:Remember- We have no control over what our parents want to name us. They have sudden whims when they see an adorable, sweet smelling infant! :lach:

Yep...check out poor old "broken bed" and "earthquake" in the name thread below.

Macushla...it does, however, mean "my pulse," not "my blood," and while it is used to mean "my darling," that's not it's literal meaning.

Redwolf

Post August 15 2005, 18:40 PM
Brigid_CloverMoon
Scéalaí Mór

So I finally broke down and got this movie On Demand. I was pleasantly suprised. After all I heard no one ruined the end for me. I didn't expect it to go that way.
Slán go fóill,

Aingeal

http://ansiopa.blogspot.com

Post September 12 2005, 16:33 PM
MyriadMI
New Arrival

Having just watched the movie I was unclear on the spelling of Mo Chuisle. Began a search for this info. and found this site. I learned more than I was looking for. This is a great site by the way. :D Been looking for a very special name for a special kitty and the 'Mo Cuishle' (misspelled) .. from the movie jumped out at me. It's perfect! I'm grateful for the postings specific to the correct meanings and spelling. Thanks guys!
PS) I may have a drop of Irish blood in my heritage... :D though my children are half Irish.

Post September 12 2005, 16:47 PM
MyriadMI
New Arrival

:( Oh dear. Just posted a note re: Mo chuisle from from "Million Dollor Baby" movie. Then I saw another posting spelling it Macushla?? Can someone tell me the actual, correct spelling, and the does this mean my darling, my love, my pulse..? My understanding is there's an 'actual' and 'literal' meaning. Am I also reading there's a "used to be" meaning as well?? Thought I was clear, but now confused. Thanks for any help.

Post September 12 2005, 16:51 PM
JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

MyriadMI wrote::( Oh dear. Just posted a note re: Mo chuisle from from "Million Dollor Baby" movie. Then I saw another posting spelling it Macushla?? Can someone tell me the actual, correct spelling, and the does this mean my darling, my love, my pulse..? My understanding is there's an 'actual' and 'literal' meaning. Am I also reading there's a "used to be" meaning as well?? Thought I was clear, but now confused. Thanks for any help.

Mo chuisle. All those other ones are just phonetic renditions.
Beidh ár lá linn.......go luath!!

I'm a beginner. Wait for more input with my translations.

Post September 12 2005, 16:54 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

MyriadMI wrote::( Oh dear. Just posted a note re: Mo chuisle from from "Million Dollor Baby" movie. Then I saw another posting spelling it Macushla?? Can someone tell me the actual, correct spelling, and the does this mean my darling, my love, my pulse..? My understanding is there's an 'actual' and 'literal' meaning. Am I also reading there's a "used to be" meaning as well?? Thought I was clear, but now confused. Thanks for any help.

OK...here's the rundown:

The proper spelling is "mo chuisle" (pronounced "muh KHUSH-luh," with the "kh" sound being more of a gutteral "h" as in the ending of the name "Bach" or the word "loch").

It is commonly MISPELLED as "macushla" in sappy, stage-Irish songs, most of them American in origin. That is in no way to be construed as a correct spelling.

It was mispelled as "mo cuisle" in the movie "Million Dollar Baby," and mistranslated as "my blood." One reason among many that I won't have anything to do with that *$%# movie.

It literally means "my pulse," but is used as an endearment (one of many such endearments) meaning "my darling" or "my sweetie."

It's only "mo chuisle" if you're speaking OF the person. If you're ADDRESSING the person, it's "a chuisle."

Redwolf

Post September 12 2005, 16:59 PM
JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Redwolf wrote:

OK...here's the rundown:

The proper spelling is "mo chuisle" (pronounced "muh KHUSH-luh," with the "kh" sound being more of a gutteral "h" as in the ending of the name "Bach" or the word "loch").

It is commonly MISPELLED as "macushla" in sappy, stage-Irish songs, most of them American in origin. That is in no way to be construed as a correct spelling.

It was mispelled as "mo cuisle" in the movie "Million Dollar Baby," and mistranslated as "my blood." One reason among many that I won't have anything to do with that *$%# movie.

It literally means "my pulse," but is used as an endearment (one of many such endearments) meaning "my darling" or "my sweetie."

It's only "mo chuisle" if you're speaking OF the person. If you're ADDRESSING the person, it's "a chuisle."

Redwolf

I haven't seen it, but I've heard that it's actually quite good. If I do ever see it, I'll let you know secretly so no one will know. I've also seen Mo mhuirnín mis translated as well. There is a song that was popular during the Civil War called Kathleen Mavourneen, which makes it look as if that were her last name. It's sung that way as well, unless you know what's going on. :wink:

Post September 12 2005, 17:03 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Yep, I've seen that one too, as well as "Mother Macree"! Very common in that type of song.

I don't really want to see the movie in any case...I can't stand Hillary Swank, and I'm horrified by what I've heard of the ending. The poor research re the Irish is just kind of the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Redwolf

Post September 12 2005, 17:04 PM
JSmith13
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Redwolf wrote:Yep, I've seen that one too, as well as "Mother Macree"! Very common in that type of song.

I don't really want to see the movie in any case...I can't stand Hillary Swank, and I'm horrified by what I've heard of the ending. The poor research re the Irish is just kind of the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Redwolf

Does she get eaten by a shark or something???!!! 8O :lach:

Post September 12 2005, 17:06 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

JSmith13 wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Yep, I've seen that one too, as well as "Mother Macree"! Very common in that type of song.

Redwolf

Does she get eaten by a shark or something???!!! 8O :lach:

Spoiler in the quote box below...highlight to read if interested (but don't if you don't want to know the end of the movie):

Assisted suicide.

Redwolf

PreviousNext