Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

WHAT IS THE IRISH WORD FOR CUTE? OR PRETTY?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post January 19 2005, 5:02 AM
kle
New Arrival

My friend wants to know what the celtic or irish word for cute, or pretty, or beautiful is. She's writing a paper, and forgot to look this up.....so if you can help.....i'd appreciate. ^_^ Thanks a lot!!

Post January 19 2005, 5:21 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

kle wrote:My friend wants to know what the celtic or irish word for cute, or pretty, or beautiful is. She's writing a paper, and forgot to look this up.....so if you can help.....i'd appreciate. ^_^ Thanks a lot!!

There is no such language as "Celtic." Celtic is a language family that includes Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Cornish, Welsh, and Breton.

The Irish word for "cute" is "cleasach." "Pretty" is "gleoite." "Beautiful" is "álainn." You can't just slap those words into a phrase and have it work though...Irish is an inflected language, and words change depending on how they're used. If she wants to use an Irish phrase in her paper, it's best for us to have the entire phrase.

Redwolf

Post January 19 2005, 5:25 AM
kle
New Arrival

Redwolf wrote:
kle wrote:My friend wants to know what the celtic or irish word for cute, or pretty, or beautiful is. She's writing a paper, and forgot to look this up.....so if you can help.....i'd appreciate. ^_^ Thanks a lot!!

There is no such language as "Celtic." Celtic is a language family that includes Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Cornish, Welsh, and Breton.

The Irish word for "cute" is "cleasach." "Pretty" is "gleoite." "Beautiful" is "álainn." You can't just slap those words into a phrase and have it work though...Irish is an inflected language, and words change depending on how they're used. If she wants to use an Irish phrase in her paper, it's best for us to have the entire phrase.

Redwolf
thank you thank you thank you :)

Post January 19 2005, 12:55 PM
Antóin
Giostaire

Rabhadh Foclóra – Dictionary Alert

(Sirens blaring in background)

“Cleasach” means “cute” in the sense of crafty or astute.

De Baldy One obviously didn’t realize the word had other meanings.

I can’t think of any special word besides “gleoite”, but there must be others.

Post January 19 2005, 13:49 PM
blixt
Scéalaí Mór

Dathúil means good-looking, in reference to a person. While pretty much anything small and possibly pink (like, say, baby clothes) could be 'cute' in English, this refers only to good-looking, pretty people.
Image Bond. Ionic Bond. Taken, not shared.

Post January 19 2005, 17:32 PM
erigena
Laoch na nGael

Dóighiúil is another good word for good-looking, handsome, beautiful, gorgeous, comely, etc