Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Pronunciation

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 16 2003, 13:24 PM
Duine Aonair
Gaeilgeoir

Bandia Dhuit

I have the Irish, I have the English, I have no clue to pronunciation.

Thig críoch ar an t-saol ach maírfhidh ceol is grá

One day the world will end, but love and music will remain

I just ordered a copy of Learning Irish, so give me a few months and I'll be asking for verifications of my abysmal Irish instead of translations and pronunciations.

A comforting thought?

Slán,

Duine Aonair.

Post February 16 2003, 16:48 PM
éanna

Duine Aonair wrote:

One day the world will end, but love and music will remain

Here:
Lá éigin tiocfaidh críoch ar an saol ach mairfidh ceol is grá.
law ay-gin tchuck-fig kree-uck air un sail ock mar-fig keol ish graw

Notice the changes in the Irish,
Sláinte!

Ps: Any questions dont hesitate to ask

Post February 17 2003, 1:28 AM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

Hey a Dhuine Aonair,

Best of luck with the learning. Aparently all of the learners on daltai.com say that however little progress they make each week it is so rewarding and it means a lot to them. I kind of understand that in a way because I'm an exile from Ireland and the language means so much more to me because of that than it would if I had stayed in Kilmovee.

It's sort of an anchor of solid sense, a window into the Gaelic world, the life of my ancestors which sustains me while I negotiate my way around this crazy f***ed up city of London.

Ádh mór, béarfaidh tú bua, táim cinnte.

Slan,

Ailill.

P.S. It's always amusing to see the feeble attempts of learners. :D
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."
Seosamh Mac Grianna, Mo Bhealach Féin

Post February 17 2003, 1:55 AM
Duine Aonair
Gaeilgeoir

Die Taube:

Notice the changes in the Irish

Yes, about those - why? I got the original version from this forum. Is it wrong?

Ailill:

Humph. (-; I would have thought any attempt would be better then none.

Slán,

Duine Aonair

Post February 17 2003, 4:29 AM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

"Thig críoch ar an t-saol ach maírfhidh ceol is grá"

This word "thig" is one of those dialect words which are not taught in the modern day standardised Irish but keep cropping up in old sayings.

I think "thig" means "able to/can" so the exact meaning of the phrase is:

"The world can end but music and love will live"

The reason Colm made those changes was to add "one day" (la amháin) and to change "thig" to "tiocfaidh" (come) as he perhaps thought "thig" was a mispelling or dialectical variation of "tiocfaidh".

Can we nail down the meaning of "thig" please?? anyone? at all? please?

slan,

Ailill.

P.S. I hope you know I was only joking, it's brilliant to see people learning Irish entirely out of their own interest.
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."

Post February 17 2003, 8:48 AM
Fionn
Gaeilgeoir

This is what I have in my only little database...

Thig:
(v) (a.) irr. will come : thig dha = will become him : thig ris = will please him : thig eadar = will disagree

Ailill wrote:Can we nail down the meaning of "thig" please?? anyone? at all? please?
Irish Gaelic for Speakers, Learners & Beginners! on Paltalk - Hear pronunciations, ask for translations, learn conversational Gaelic, hear some great Celtic music and enjoy the craic! PM me for more details :)

Post February 17 2003, 17:11 PM
Tadhg an Mhargaidh
Scéalaí Mór

A chairde,

'thig' = (in Ulster Irish) 'tagann' or 'tiocfaidh' depending on context. It's also Scottish Gaelic (= 'tagann' or 'tiocfaidh') and Scottish Gaelic really hasn't got a proper distinctive future tense (as I understand it) and it uses the present (habitual) tense form instead (and the present progressive to express the present, i.e., 'tha mi ag tuigsinn' = 'tuigim', etc. ).

'Thig' is most commonly used in modern Ulster Irish in the construction 'tig/thig + le' (= is féidir le)

Anyway, the only problem I have with

is the spelling of 'maírfhidh', the hyphen between 't' and 's', and the lack of the article before 'ceol' and 'grá'

I think either

Thig críoch ar an tsaol ach mairfidh an ceol is an grá

or

(Lá éigin) tiocfaidh críoch ar an saol ach mairfidh an ceol is an grá.

would be acceptable but the first version wouldn't be considered standard.

By the way, I'm fairly certain Fionn's examples are Scottish Gaelic (e.g. 'ri' = 'le')

meas mór,

Tadhg

Post February 17 2003, 21:52 PM
Fionn
Gaeilgeoir

oops, so sorry guys - it is Scots Gaelic - I intended to say that when I posted my msg. I assumed it was Scots when Aillil et. al didn't recognise "Thig", so I looked for it in the Scots dialect.

I meant to say it was "Scots"....

Again, sorry for my oversight

:oops:
Irish Gaelic for Speakers, Learners & Beginners! on Paltalk - Hear pronunciations, ask for translations, learn conversational Gaelic, hear some great Celtic music and enjoy the craic! PM me for more details :)

Post February 18 2003, 1:35 AM
Duine Aonair
Gaeilgeoir

Bandia Dhuit all

Ailill:

P.S. I hope you know I was only joking, it's brilliant to see people learning Irish entirely out of their own interest.

Hence the (-;

Tadhg suggested (Lá éigin) tiocfaidh críoch ar an saol ach mairfidh an ceol is an grá.

Die Taube offered Lá éigin tiocfaidh críoch ar an saol ach mairfidh ceol is grá.

Either or? Is one more correct then the other, or are they variances?

Am I bugging anyone yet? Also, is éigin pronounced with a hard 'g' like gin, or a soft 'g' like um...hrm.

Well, you get the idea.

Slán

Duine Aonair.

Post February 18 2003, 2:56 AM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

I think it would be "more" Irish to use Tadgh's version, it has "an ceol" rather than "ceol". The difference is "the music" rather than "music". for example, if you see a poster saying "beidh ceol ann" it means "there will be (some) music there" .
But we are talking about music in it's entirety so we should say "an ceol". Ditto for grá.

Éigin is pronounced with a hard "g" like in egg, stress on the 1st syllable (AY-gin).
Have you looked at the BBC blas website? It's getting rave reviews and it's got pronunciation recordings.

slán,

Ailill.

Next