Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How do you say I love you in Gaelic?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 08 2002, 23:02 PM
CelticBooza
New Arrival

I need to know how to say I love you in Gaelic to my girlfriend because both of us are really Irish and I think it would be kinky.
THE CELTIC BOOZA

Post July 09 2002, 12:13 PM
Nainsi
Gaeilgeoir

I love you, Gráim thú , pronounced /graw-im hoo/

To hear the pronunciation, and for lots of other phrases, go to the Irish Gaelic Phrases page. The link is at the top of this page in the box.

Post May 28 2006, 2:39 AM
Goalee
Getting Addicted

or you could also say
ta' tu' gra ma' croi which is a formal way of saying i love you/ i am very fond of you
I am just a begginer and i am just learning this language ALWAYS wait for corrections on my work.

i may just be learning irish but i do know spanish and french quite well if anyone needs help with that

Post May 28 2006, 3:02 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

Goalee wrote:or you could also say
ta' tu' gra ma' croi which is a formal way of saying i love you/ i am very fond of you

Not quite. You have to use the copula when you equate two things "grá mo chroí = tú", and it's "mo", not "ma". Also, the accents are very important.

[is] grá mo chroí thú

It's not an especially formal phrase either.

Post May 28 2006, 3:21 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Nainsi wrote:I love you, Gráim thú , pronounced /graw-im hoo/

To hear the pronunciation, and for lots of other phrases, go to the Irish Gaelic Phrases page. The link is at the top of this page in the box.

Technically yes, but in practice, no - that phrases page isn't exactly the best resource, we've noticed. Some of the more usual ways are
Tá grá agam duit = "I love you"
Mo ghrá thú = "My love to you" or "You are my love" depending on how you interpret it
Tá mo chroí istigh ionat = "My heart is within you" - a nice Irish expression that essentially means "I love you"
Tá mé i ngrá leat = "I am in love with you" (it actually means something different, just like in English, but is often lumped with the above)

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post May 28 2006, 19:57 PM
Goalee
Getting Addicted

Thanks alot for ripping my dreams appart Mh :cry:
I am just a begginer and i am just learning this language ALWAYS wait for corrections on my work.

i may just be learning irish but i do know spanish and french quite well if anyone needs help with that

Post May 28 2006, 20:10 PM
Caffler
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

and not forgetting the inevitable, debatable, and non-emphatic colloquial
is tú mo ghrá
;D
Get the Ræliksen CD here
éist leis an gceol

tá sult na saoirse i gcló na gcrann
is grá don tsúil a fiaradh,
tá dúil sa rud tá casta cam
is gráin don bhog is don díreach.

Post May 28 2006, 20:16 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

Goalee wrote:Thanks alot for ripping my dreams appart Mh :cry:

Tá brón orm! Image

Stick around, keep plugging away at it. Most people's first translations on this site leave something to be desired.

Post May 28 2006, 20:18 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Yeah - in fact there are some of us who have been around for years and whose translations still leave something to be desired :hallo:

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post May 28 2006, 20:27 PM
Goalee
Getting Addicted

Im just learning this language and i starting to pick on some stuff but its still not perfect... i will eventually get better just takes alot of practice :D

Next