Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Rum de rum 'rud a derimo

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 05 2004, 23:12 PM
ilesmark
New Arrival

I recently saw Intermission and loved it - and the music. So I went to the website and found out the soundtrack, then looked up the lyrics for the song I liked best - it was Clannad's Newgrange. All of this I understood apart from the chorus - which was 'Rum de rum 'rud a derimo'. What does this mean?

Post November 05 2004, 23:21 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

ilesmark wrote:I recently saw Intermission and loved it - and the music. So I went to the website and found out the soundtrack, then looked up the lyrics for the song I liked best - it was Clannad's Newgrange. All of this I understood apart from the chorus - which was 'Rum de rum 'rud a derimo'. What does this mean?

I don't know the song, but I'm guessing that what you're hearing is lilting...nonsense syllables that are meant to have the same feel as musical instruments. It's the same thing as the "whack fol the daddy-o" sort of stuff you'll hear in other songs.

Redwolf

Post November 05 2004, 23:44 PM
ilesmark
New Arrival

Thanks for the prompt reply - kind of a shame if it's just lilting and not specific words though

Post November 06 2004, 2:26 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

ilesmark wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply - kind of a shame if it's just lilting and not specific words though

It might be Irish spelled phonetically...I don't know the song at all, so I can't really say. Lilting is fairly common in Irish music, though. Do you have all the lyrics somewhere (or are they available on-line?)? That might help. Is "Newgrange" the name of the song, or is that the name of the album?

Redwolf

Post November 06 2004, 2:33 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Well, I found the lyrics on-line...and I still think the chorus is just lilting, but here are the lyrics in their entirety if anyone else wants to take a look at it:

There is a place on the east
Mysterious ring, a Magical Ring of Stones
The druids lived here once they said,
forgotten is the race that no-one knows

Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo

The circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stones
Heroic Kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no-one knows.

Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo

Wait for the sun on a winter's day
and a beam of light shines across the floor
Mysterious ring, a Magical Ring
But forgotten is the race that no-one knows

Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo
Rum de rum 'rud a derimo

Redwolf

Post November 06 2004, 2:46 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

It's either lilting or "rum of rum , thing I said, oh".

I vote for lilting Image

Post November 06 2004, 2:49 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

mhwombat wrote:It's either lilting or "rum of rum , thing I said, oh".

I vote for lilting Image

:lach: Me too.

Don't be disappointed, ilesmark. Lilting is an old and honorable tradition in Irish music.

Redwolf

Post November 07 2004, 0:01 AM
ilesmark
New Arrival

Many thanks to the both of you for your help. As I write, I am listening to Newgrange....a recent convert to Celtic Mysticism, just like Detective Jerry Lynch in Intermission!!