Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Fir Na Tine...?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 05 2003, 17:57 PM
lil_bower45
New Arrival

Okay, I'm getting this irish tattoo, and i'm a firefighter, and I was looking at some others, and a couple of them said, Fir Na Tine...I think it might mean Men of Fire, but I'm not sure...if it does, then does anyone know what women of fire or something along those lines would be?

Post February 05 2003, 20:03 PM
irishgaelictranslator
Site Admin

Hey,

Fir na Tine = Men of Fire

Mná na Tine = Women of Fire

But to be more precise, there is a phrase for fire men

Fir dóiteáin = Firmen
firr doh-it-toin
There is no used female version of this, just the same in English when you don't hear "firewomen" being used.

Post February 05 2003, 20:11 PM
lil_bower45
New Arrival

Thankyou so much for that, that cleared a lot up...one more question though...would it still be Mná Na Tine if it were woman and not women? And is there a gaelic word for firefighter (So i could say something like lady firefighter, something like that)?
Thank you so much, i've looked all over the net and this is the only sight that has had ANY help... :D[/quote]

Post February 05 2003, 20:20 PM
irishgaelictranslator
Site Admin

For woman, it's

Bean an tine = Fire woman
ban on tin-ah

BUT!! it might be "na" instead of "an", I hope someone else will reply with help (it's a grammatical question). So don't go down to the tattoo parlour just yet :)

As for firefighter, I haven't heard of a phrase like that in Irish. It just doesn't sound right in Irish to "fight" fire. But then again, maybe someone will have a suggestion.

Post February 06 2003, 2:50 AM
Tadhg an Mhargaidh
Scéalaí Mór

Eoin 7 Lil-bower45,

'Firemen' would be 'fir dhóiteáin'.

I'm not sure whether 'bean dhóiteáin' is ever used anywhere, but there's absolutely no logical reason why it couldn't be - 'bean dhóiteáin' is the most logical translation for 'firewoman' or 'female firefighter' that I can think of.

le meas,

Tadhg