Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

is there a celtic symbol that represnts word, "grandma&

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 09 2004, 8:19 AM
naluhine
New Arrival

l am looking for a symbol that represents the meaning of Grammy for a tattoo I want to create

Post October 09 2004, 8:21 AM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

no symbols, but the word for "Granny" is

Mamó
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post October 09 2004, 17:47 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Irish isn't written in symbols...it's written using ordinary Roman letters. If you want it to look special, you could use a Gaelic font...there are several linked under the "fonts" heading to your left (under the shamrock).

Redwolf

Post October 10 2004, 0:27 AM
Brigid_CloverMoon
Scéalaí Mór

I just don't understand where this belief that Irish has symbols is stemming from? Do you think its because of the intricate Celtic knotwork?
Slán go fóill,

Aingeal

http://ansiopa.blogspot.com

Post October 10 2004, 0:40 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Brigid_CloverMoon wrote:I just don't understand where this belief that Irish has symbols is stemming from? Do you think its because of the intricate Celtic knotwork?

I think it's partially that, and partially unethical jewelry manufaturers and such, who will sell something with a particular squiggly on it and say "this is the ancient Celtic symbol for...".

Redwolf

Post October 10 2004, 0:43 AM
Brigid_CloverMoon
Scéalaí Mór

I mean I think everyone knows what the claddagh is and what it means as well as the Trinity Knot, Shamrock, and Celtic Cross.... but aside from that the alphabet is not comprised of symbols.

Maybe its all these runic symbols that are making people think that.....
Slán go fóill,

Aingeal

http://ansiopa.blogspot.com