Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Gaelic Translation of Hunter PLEASE!!!

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 04 2004, 17:22 PM
macfhionn
Laoch na nGael

Not that it's being asked for...
but for clarification's sake the Scots Gaelic for Hunter is Mac an t-Sealgair (literally "Son of the hunter").

See for example (well down page of) list at -

http://www.akerbeltz.org/beagangaidhlig ... heangj.htm

Post October 04 2004, 17:39 PM
Conor
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

i suppose for a married woman

Mhic an t-Sealgair?

or does it not work like that?

Post October 04 2004, 18:02 PM
macfhionn
Laoch na nGael

In Scots Gaelic the general usage now for a female, married or not, is simply Nic (an t-Sealgair). "Nic" is an abbreviation of "Nighean Mhic", perhaps via "Ní Mhic".

In other words, though "Mac an t-Sealgair" means "Son of the Hunter", "Nic an t-Sealgair" actually derives from "Granddaughter of the Hunter". However, lest anyone draw the wrong conclusion, the everyday word for "granddaughter" would not be "nic" but "ban-ogha".

Post October 04 2004, 23:28 PM
Séafra
Scéalaí Mór

not verb and noun - just two nouns

Yah, sorry, my bad. But, you get the point. :oops:

Post October 06 2004, 14:28 PM
Miles
New Arrival

Oh man :P

See, I know that I'm a little bit of both, according to my family history book. But I think I'm more prodominatly Irish than Scottish.

Now I really need to find out in Ó Fiachra is right or not, or else I'll have to go with the Scottish Gaelic version of Hunter....

This is getting very confusing as to what I should pick

Post October 06 2004, 14:35 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Miles wrote:Oh man :P

See, I know that I'm a little bit of both, according to my family history book. But I think I'm more prodominatly Irish than Scottish.

Now I really need to find out in Ó Fiachra is right or not, or else I'll have to go with the Scottish Gaelic version of Hunter....

This is getting very confusing as to what I should pick

It's basically a matter of doing a bit of geneological research. "Hunter" COULD be a translation of Ó Fiachra. It COULD be a translation of the Scottish name. Or it very well COULD be an English name. What you want to do now is find out exactly where your paternal ancestors came from. That will give you an idea as to whether it's appropriate to use an Irish or Scottish form of the name.

Redwolf

Post June 10 2011, 16:50 PM
LaurenHunter793
New Arrival

Hi, My name is Lauren Hunter, you may be the last Hunter in Canada but my two brothers and sister are also Hunter.
The translation Ó Fiachra is correct but sealgaire means the acctual person hunter that hunts for animals etc. :)

Post June 10 2011, 20:00 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

This thread is seven years old! Locking it to prevent re-resurrection.

Previous