Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

tattoo translation ,honor thy father, honor thy mother

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 28 2004, 3:38 AM
REXAL
New Arrival

any help would be appreciated

Post September 28 2004, 3:55 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Perhaps something like onóir ar d'athairse, onóir ar do mháthairse but I really have no idea which preposition to use, so . . . stay tuned for corrections.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post September 28 2004, 4:00 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

According to the Bíobla Naofa, "honor thy father and thy mother" is:

Tabhair do d'athair agus do do mháthair onóir.

Literally "Give to your father and to your mother honor."

If you want to split it up, I guess it would be:

Tabhair do d'athair onóir

Tabhair do do mháthair onóir

Wait for further input.

Redwolf

Post September 28 2004, 4:04 AM
Séafra
Scéalaí Mór

Bíobla Naofa

THAT'S WHAT I NEED! :D

Post September 28 2004, 4:07 AM
Séafra
Scéalaí Mór

wait, but is that the one on cd? because I dont want that... oh well, we've already discussed this.

Post September 28 2004, 4:10 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

I don't have my Irish Bible here at home, and I doubt kabeid et avikha v'et imekha would help you much.

However, based on the Hebrew, which is in the imperative singular, I'd say onóraigh d'athair agus do mháthair

Post September 28 2004, 4:11 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Séafra wrote:wait, but is that the one on cd? because I dont want that... oh well, we've already discussed this.

Yep, I have the one on CD, which is a blessing...with my eyes, I don't need the tiny print!

Redwolf

Post September 28 2004, 4:12 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

oisin718 wrote:I don't have my Irish Bible here at home, and I doubt kabeid et avikha v'et imekha would help you much.

However, based on the Hebrew, which is in the imperative singular, I'd say onóraigh d'athair agus do mháthair

I pulled mine right out of An Bíobla Naofa, (Exodus 20:12)

The full verse is Tabhair do d'athair agus do do mháthair onóir i dtreo go mba fada iad do laethanta ar an talamh a thug an Tiarna do Dhia duit.

Redwolf

Post September 28 2004, 4:19 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

That's odd how they put the indirect object in front of the direct object, and interesting that they chose "give honor to" rather than "honor."

Tabhair onóir do d'athair agus do mháthair would have made more sense

Post September 28 2004, 4:25 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

oisin718 wrote:That's odd how they put the indirect object in front of the direct object, and interesting that they chose "give honor to" rather than "honor."

Tabhair onóir do d'athair agus do mháthair would have made more sense

I wonder what the people who translated the Irish version were working from. Would they have worked from the Vulgate? Perhaps something about the Latin used suggested the more stilted order to the translators (?). Or perhaps something about how Irish may have been spoken back then...?

Redwolf

Next