Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Creative Ideas for Improving Your Irish

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 03 2004, 17:50 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

Out-of-date information removed.

Most of the regulars on this forum have moved to http://irishgaelictranslator.com/
Last edited by mhwombat on March 31 2012, 1:57 AM, edited 4 times in total.

Post September 03 2004, 17:59 PM
ÓBroin anFiach
Giostaire

Those are some good tips, mhwombat! Go raibh maith agat, a chara!
Ní bheidh Éire shaor ar síocháin choíche, agus gan an ceart, ní féidir an tsíocháin a bheith ann.
Tomás Ó Broin
Learning Irish since October 2003

Post September 03 2004, 18:14 PM
mhwombat

Redwolf wrote:One thing I do is listen to a lot of music in Irish.

Yes! I will never forget the first time I understood an entire verse of a song without even looking at the liner notes. It was years ago, but it was something like:

Shiúil mise soir
Agus shiúil mise siar
Shiúil mise Corcaigh
'gus sraide Bhaile Átha Cliath

I was so proud! :schaf: :tanz: :snake:

OK, the snake isn't exactly relevant, but I think he's cute.

Post September 03 2004, 18:18 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I'm trying to read my first Irish short story atm :ja: 8O
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post September 03 2004, 18:24 PM
mhwombat

Redwolf wrote:I like the labels idea. My family will think I'm crazy, but what the heck...they've always known that

I have this mental image of Norman Rockwell-style home, a man with "m'fhear cheile" pinned to his shirt, children with "mo mhac" and "m'inion" stuck to their foreheads, and bewildered animals labelled "an cat" and "an madadh". :mrgreen:

Post September 03 2004, 18:25 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

I would add a suggestion to hook up with other learners, either live or on-line, to play games such as the "Fiche Ceist" game you started here. Games can be a great way to get basic patterns in your brain. When I was taking high school French, we actually played games quite a lot. Bingo helped us learn numbers. "I See Something Red" helped us learn colors (and learn how to ask questions). We played "20 Questions" too...great fun, and we learned a lot that way.

Another good mental game...if you see a town name or a state name that doesn't have an Irish equivalent, make one up for it! "If the Irish had settled in this place, what might they have called it?"

One we did here a while back (Ailill's suggestion) that was quite fun was translate movie titles into Irish.

Redwolf

Post September 03 2004, 22:20 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

mhwombat wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I like the labels idea. My family will think I'm crazy, but what the heck...they've always known that

I have this mental image of Norman Rockwell-style home, a man with "m'fhear cheile" pinned to his shirt, children with "mo mhac" and "m'inion" stuck to their foreheads, and bewildered animals labelled "an cat" and "an madadh". :mrgreen:

Oh, you've seen my place then? :lach:

Actually, it's more like "Roseanne"!

Redwolf

Post September 04 2004, 1:04 AM
páidín
Scéalaí Mór

Redwolf wrote: I was quite pleased, the other day, when I was grocery shopping and caught myself singing "Cuach Mo Londubh Buí" in Irish (I always sing under my breath when I'm shopping...it's one of my weird habits!).

Did you ever figure out what the verse before the classical irish sax solo :wink: is? i can't figure it for the life of me.
ALWAYS get a second opinion on anything I, or anyone else, attempt to translate or transliterate.
I speak Connacht Irish, so some things I write, translate, or transliterate may be non-standard.

Sáileacha Tharra Abú!

Post September 04 2004, 1:11 AM
Cymro-Breatnach
Giostaire

When I was teaching I always used music in the classroom. For one thing it's grammar in action. Then, of course, the sound of the target language comes over. Thirdly, why do you think that non-English contact schools have such a success rate with English? The music scene is in English to a great extent and this is a huge incentive for youngsters to learn English. Also, actual songs, not made-up songs for the classroom had a better effect.
"Dúid" Breatnach an tí. Is Breatnach deas mé.
Cymru 11 Lloegr 9 (Wales 11 England 9) Ha Ha!

My Irish is not very good, but I have kickass Welsh! I don't make mistakes in Welsh.

Post September 04 2004, 1:24 AM
Deb
Giostaire

mhwombat wrote:

Please be certain to use Post-Its on your family members - thumb tacks in the forehead leave marks!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tá mé ag foghlaim i gcónaí. With translations, it is best to wait for someone more adept than I to confirm.

Next