Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

An Cailin Deas Rua

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 10 2004, 4:52 AM
itsmewendylee
Getting Addicted

I am a fan of the band Gaelic Storm. On their newest CD, they recorded a tune in Gaelic, and posted the Gaelic words, but not the translation. The explanation they give is just enough to leave me wanting to know the whole story. Anyone want to try and tackle this one? I have a feeling it might give a few of us a giggle. (Catchy tune, btw.) I am also curious because I happend to be a redheaded gal...

An Cailin Deas Rua

(Traditional, with additional words and music by Murphy/Twigger/Wehmeyer, arranged by Gaelic Storm)

Band Comment: "This song, sung in Irish Gaelic, tells the woeful tale of an innocent lad who gives too much drink to a beautiful red-haired girl. He declares his undying love in poetry only the Irish can compose: "I prefer her to cows..." is one of his best lines. Is it any wonder the girl steals all his money and runs off with the shop-boy? The Irish word "Rua" in the title can be translated as both "Red-haired" and "Wild"... But seriously, is there really any difference!?"

Nach doiligh domhsa mo chailin a mholadh
‘S ni he amhain mar bhi si rua
Bhi si mar gath greine a dhul in eadan na gloinne
is bhi sceimh mhna na finne le mo caillin rua
Chorus:
Thug me liom i o bhaile go baile
Chuir me an deoch ar mo caillin deas rua!
B’fhearr liom i na bo is na serrach,
A bhfuil da loinghis a’ tarraingt chun cuain,
B’fhearr liom aris na cios cluain maidne
Go mbeinn is mo chaillin in mBaile an Luain.
Chorus
Chuir me mo chailin go margadh Shligidh,
B’e sin fein an margadh bhi daor,
Bhi scilling agus punt ar a pheice mine
No go dtug mise na fuinneadh do mo chailin rua
Chorus
Chuaigh si siar le broga breach’uirthi
Ribini glasuaine teannta ‘ar a gruaig,
D’ealaigh si uaimse le buachaill an tsiopa,
‘S a Ri, nar dheas i mo chailin rua!

Post August 10 2004, 6:27 AM
MarieT
Gaeilgeoir

Hi, I have found the words posted here in English.
http://hellawes.ru/clannlir/lyrics/text ... in_rua.htm
Regards
I'm learning Irish!
Please wait for other forum members to correct or confirm any translations I suggest

Bhí subh milis ar bhascrann an dorais - Ach mhúch mé an corraí ionam d'éirigh,
Mar smaoinigh mé ar an lá a bheas an bhascrann glán .... Agus an lámh bheag ar iarraidh.

Post August 10 2004, 6:32 AM
itsmewendylee
Getting Addicted

Hey, Thanks! Well, it tells an interesting tale, hmm? Though billed as a trad tune, I have not heard it before. I don't know what the "original" or "traditional" song sounds like, but GS's rendition is very cool. They tend to change things up in their arrangements of trad tunes. Their version of An Poc Ar Bulle is like no other ever recorded! Worth a listen.

Thanks again for taking the time to find that for me.

W

Post August 10 2004, 7:07 AM
Gaeilgeoir
Giostaire

MarieT wrote:Hi, I have found the words posted here in English.
http://hellawes.ru/clannlir/lyrics/text ... in_rua.htm
Regards

Interestingly enough, the Russian translations for the song is different between the English and Irish...How can this be? Wouldn't the Russians translate its meaning only, and not the sounds of the Irish (title)??

Hmm...

Labhair í agus mairfaidh sí! Éire Abú!
As always, wait for others' opinions on translations until a consensus has been reached.

Post August 10 2004, 10:00 AM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

Gaeilgeoir wrote:[color=green]Interestingly enough, the Russian translations for the song is different between the English and Irish...How can this be? Wouldn't the Russians translate its meaning only, and not the sounds of the Irish (title)??

That is SO not my problem :D
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."
Seosamh Mac Grianna, Mo Bhealach Féin

Post August 10 2004, 17:32 PM
Gaeilgeoir
Giostaire

:lach: :lach:

Labhair í agus mairfaidh sí! Éire Abú!
As always, wait for others' opinions on translations until a consensus has been reached.