Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Looking for Scottish Gaelic translation

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 03 2004, 23:15 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Aegis Runestone wrote:Well... actually I remember looking up Claimh Solais at google.com and it said, according to a lot of mythology websites that 'Claimh Solais' is correctly spelled... but then... that could be Celtic... and I'm not sure which Gaelic is the same as or similar to Celtic.

"Celtic" isn't a language...it refers to a group of languages that includes Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish and Breton. There's one heck of a lot of variation between those languages. It's a little like saying "horse" is "Germanic" because it's an English word (English being a member of the Germanic family of languages) or "bonjour" is "Romantic" because it comes from a language descended from Latin. What none of those tells you is WHICH language from those families your word comes from...and there are definite differences between "horse" in English and German, and "hello" in French, Spanish and Italian!

Or, to put it more simply, Irish Gaelic is one of many Celtic languages...and they're not mutually intelligible.

"Claimh Solais" may be correct in Scottish Gaelic. It may not be. I don't know. It may even be old Irish. I don't know that either. I do know that the word in contemporary Irish Gaelic for sword is "claíomh". For the rest, we'll have to wait and see.

BTW, don't buy ANYTHING you read at those so-called "mythology" websites. Most of them are little more than smoke and fairies. If they get something right, it's usually just because they got lucky!

Redwolf

Post August 04 2004, 1:16 AM
phelan
Scéalaí Mór

smoke and faeries!!!! hahahaha Where is one located!! haha That is priceless Redwolf!
Phelan

labhair amach os ard 's tabhair bata beag leat.

Post August 04 2004, 3:13 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

Scottish Gaelic I think would be

claidheamh soluis for "sword of light."

"sword of magic" might be either

claidheamh draoidheil or claidheamh draoidheachd

Post August 04 2004, 3:24 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

oisin718 wrote:Scottish Gaelic I think would be

Is "claimh" used in any dialect of Irish, that you know of? He was originally looking for something spelled similarly to "claimh solais," but I can only find "claíomh" for sword, and so gave him "claíomh draíochta" for "sword of magic" in Irish. So, in addition to getting him his translation, we're trying to figure out if "claimh solais" is just plain wrong(?)

Redwolf

Post August 04 2004, 7:26 AM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I have here: claímh and claimhte as alternate spellings of claoímh
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post August 04 2004, 8:59 AM
macfhionn
Laoch na nGael

Oisín is correct, with the minor amendment that Scots Gaelic has now begun to spell the word for "light" with an "a" (as in Irish) rather than with a "u", thus "solas" & claidheamh solais".

Post August 04 2004, 19:38 PM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

Méabh wrote:I have here: claímh and claimhte as alternate spellings of claoímh

Claimhte is the plural "swords".
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."
Seosamh Mac Grianna, Mo Bhealach Féin

Post August 04 2004, 19:39 PM
Ailill
Andúileach IGTF

Aegis Runestone wrote:Well... actually I remember looking up Claimh Solais at google.com and it said, according to a lot of mythology websites that 'Claimh Solais' is correctly spelled... but then... that could be Celtic... and I'm not sure which Gaelic is the same as or similar to Celtic.

Ignore the spelling on mythology websites. Practically all of them are writtn by people who don't have a word of Irish.

The internet and most English language books are full of mispelled Irish.
"Tá an saol mór lán den fhilíocht ag an té dar dual a thuigbheáil agus ní thráfaidh an tobar go deo na ndeor."
Seosamh Mac Grianna, Mo Bhealach Féin

Post August 06 2004, 19:29 PM
Aegis Runestone
New Arrival

So... which one is it? :/

Post August 07 2004, 15:25 PM
macfhionn
Laoch na nGael

Both convey the same idea.