Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

what does my name mean...

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 26 2004, 3:23 AM
randomidiot
Anseo again

Sean Patrick O'Keefe... I've been told either my first or last name means "old" because I do not have a mark on it, I cannot remember which... any translations of what any of my names can mean, or any translations into Gaelic are appreciated

Post July 26 2004, 3:26 AM
bcKay
Gaeilgeoir

Have you checked the Irish Names link to the left? might find something there....
Ní maith liom argóintí de shórt ar bith: bíonn siad lábánta i gcónaí agus áititheach go minic
:mrgreen:

Post July 26 2004, 3:29 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

randomidiot wrote:Sean Patrick O'Keefe... I've been told either my first or last name means "old" because I do not have a mark on it, I cannot remember which... any translations of what any of my names can mean, or any translations into Gaelic are appreciated

"Seán" is "John" in Irish. But yes...if you write it without the fada on the "a," it's "sean" (pronounced "shan") and means "old." I'm guessing, however, that your parents meant to name you "Seán" ("John") and either didn't know about the accent or didn't have the means to add it to your name (such marks not being used in English). I assume you pronounce it "Shawn," yes?

Redwolf

Post July 26 2004, 3:30 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

Sean = Seán (most non-Irish speakers don't put the accent on the "a" because it doesn't appear in English).

This is the Irish form of French "Jean" which means "John." It comes from Hebrew "Yohchannan" meaning "The LORD is gracious."

"Patrick" comes from Latin "Patricius" meaning "noble, of the patrician class."

"O'Keefe" = Ó Caoimh - "descendent of the Gentle one."

In Irish, the word "sean" means "old."

Post July 26 2004, 3:33 AM
randomidiot
Anseo again

OK, so if i had the accent over the a in Sean, it'd be shane, but I do not have that....?

Patrick translates to Padraig which means noble man?

and I saw nothing of O'Keefe, or any family motto, crests etc ?

Post July 26 2004, 3:37 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

randomidiot wrote:OK, so if i had the accent over the a in Sean, it'd be shane, but I do not have that....?

Patrick translates to Padraig which means noble man?

and I saw nothing of O'Keefe, or any family motto, crests etc ?

No. If you have the accent over the "a" it's "Shawn." But, as Oisin pointed out, most Americans don't bother to put the accent on...it's still pronounced "shawn" and it still means "John." Neither way does it get pronounced "shane." To get that, you'd need an accent on the "e."

In IRISH without the accent, it's pronounced "shan," not "shane," and it means "old." But with that spelling, it's not used as a name. The name in IRISH is always spelled with the fada on the "a."

Redwolf

Post July 26 2004, 3:38 AM
randomidiot
Anseo again

sorry, i was doing quick research, didn't get the replies before i posted my reply...

so it's roughly john padraig o caoimh?
Last edited by randomidiot on July 26 2004, 4:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 26 2004, 4:01 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

I don't understand what you're asking.

Post July 26 2004, 4:09 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

I'm utterly confused now, too.

Your first name is "Sean." In Irish, that would be written "Seán." It is an Irish form of the English name "John," derived from the Hebrew name Yohchannan, which means "God is Gracious."

Your middle name is "Patrick." In Irish, that would be written "Pádraig." It comes from the Latin word "Patricius" meaning "nobleman."

Your surname is O'Keefe. In Irish, that would be written "Ó Caoimh." It means "descendent of the gentle one.

So, in English, your name is Sean Patrick O'Keefe. In Irish it would be written Seán Pádraig Ó Caoimh. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on July 26 2004, 4:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 26 2004, 4:10 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

Your name in English is Sean Patrick O'Keefe.

I told you what each of those mean individually.

The Irish form of your name would be Seán Pádraig Ó Caoimh

Next