Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Audio Pronunciation Help?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 04 2012, 13:27 PM
JustSu
New Arrival

Is there an online site that will allow me to enter Irish Gaelic words and play them as audio files? I'm looking for a "feel" for pronunciation of different phonemes and would prefer to actually hear the sounds rather than trying to interpret someone else's semi-phonetic spelling of a word. For instance, I see doubled consonants given in phonetic how-to guides, such as "ss" and "nn". Well, I haven't a clue as to how that actually sounds. It's obviously different than "s" or "n", but is it just extended, held longer? How much longer? Is the difference truly audible, or is it more like what Anglophones hear when a Francophone says "Je ne suis pas" which is more nearly "juh swee pah" since the "ne" is pronounced as an elision rather than a separate word. (The Francophone actually says "juhn swee pah" in other words, but the "n" is very difficult to hear to the unpracticed ear at normal conversation speeds.) It would be far easier for me to be able to just type in "an ceann a mhúineann" for instance and listen to it a couple of times. I'm not actually speaking; I'm reading English with some Irish Gaelic phrases thrown in throughout and I'd like to have the proper sounds in my head as I do. (For the record, my interpretation of that particular phrase is "an KAY-uhn a VWEN-an" with something different needed for the final "nn", and the distinction between pronouncing the second word as KAY-uhn and KAYN only barely discernible.) A pointer to such a website, if one exists, would be much appreciated.

Post April 04 2012, 21:25 PM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

Do you know this site from Trinity College? http://www.abair.tcd.ie/ It favors the Ulster dialect.

Post April 06 2012, 7:20 AM
JustSu
New Arrival

kenailan wrote:Do you know this site from Trinity College? http://www.abair.tcd.ie/ It favors the Ulster dialect.

Absolutely perfect! Thank you!!!